surfacing problem...

any help with this would be appreciated,

i have a plastic formed component, that needs at the moment a flat sheetmetal (0.2mm thick) to be formed over this surface, this will then be edited to allow for holes, slots etc.any ideas...?

Reply to
i3u2

It might help in getting a reply if you'll be more specific as to your goals (part, developable sheetmetal part with flat pattern, create associative link between the parts, etc.), what you do and don't know about how to go about it, what version of Pro/E you are using.

Reply to
Jeff Howard

: "Jeff Howard" wrote :> any help with this would be appreciated, : >

: > i have a plastic formed component, that : > needs at the moment a flat sheetmetal : > (0.2mm thick) to be formed over this : > surface, this will then be edited to allow : > for holes, slots etc.any ideas...? : : It might help in getting a reply if you'll be more specific as to your : goals (part, developable sheetmetal part with flat pattern, create : associative link between the parts, etc.), what you do and don't : know about how to go about it, what version of Pro/E you are : using. : Did you try using a sheetmetal form? It involves an assembly operation (your molded surfaces to the piece of sheetmetal) and generating a sheetmetal surface to match part (inside of sheetmetal molded to outside of plastic part) by using the part as a female form punch. If you are not using the sheetmetal module of Pro/e for this, you should be.

I second Jeff's request for more info, including info on what you've tried already. Also info on when you plan to do the slots and holes ~ before or after the forming operation or even integrated as a progressive form/punch set of operations. (If the holes/slots are at the edge of the formed metal, they might be done first on the clamped edges, possibly on the last forming operation. But this is die design stuff I'm sure you know better than I do.) If after forming, will it be done in a way (e.g., laser or wire edm) that puts no stress on the formed part?

The Pro/e part of this, I think, is the easy part, once we know what you're trying to do.

David Janes

Reply to
David Janes

I haven't seen, and don't know the complexity of this part, but it is possible to create a sheet-metal wall offset from a surface, without studying this extensively I think this should satisfy your need. From what I've read you may not want a space between the surface and the sheet-metal wall so the offset would be zero, bust you can also provide a little built in tolerance by specifying a minimal offset. As with any offset features in Pro-E, the ability to offset it depends on the quality and complexity of the surface, but 2mm is fairly small so you will probably have success.

Reply to
Dan Richards