update blocks (yes like in autocrud)

hi all,

I've been using UDFs for a while and I'd really like to know if it is possible to insert magical UDFs that I can update later on. I would like to create a feature that connects to four points and add more specifice detailing to this UDF later on without actullay needing more than those foour insertion points. Kinda like one would update blocks in autocrud.

Is that possible at all ?

wzzle

Reply to
stinky wizzleteet

When you asked basically this same question on 5/14, you acknowledged the following:

So, are you asking if PTC is still doing development work on this basically defunct functionality? No, I don't think so. It's a backwater, stagnant. When they introduced and improved the standard hole with all of its options and parameters, got the hole, chamfer, cosmetic thread and parametric note taken care of, all in one place, they got rid of about 90% of the need for the UDF. In fact, it is functionality that I would not be surprised to see disappear, replaced by such things in WF2 as the ability to dynamically move features on a part, Ctrl-drag (or ^C/^V) copy features within a part and to other parts. IMO, it's a mistake to get heavily invested in this functionality. In any case, it always seemed to me to be almost more trouble than it was worth.

My 2 cents worth

David Janes

Reply to
David Janes

As an alternative, how about using data sharing features? Create the geometry as a standalone part and then bring it in via an ExtCopyGeom, Inheritance, ExtMerge, or ExtCutout. You just need coordinate systems to locate by.

I never used UDFs much, but it seems like the data sharing features do as much and more.

- Wallace

Reply to
Wallace White