Which laptop graphics card is good?

Greetings:

If you were bying a lappy today one has 128MB ATI Mobility Radeon 9700

  • Pentium M 1.8GHz, the other 128MB Geforce FX Go5700 + Pentium 4 3.0E GHz w/ HT. Both are comparable in price i.e ~00. Which one will you pick?

Your comment and advise is greatly appreciated.

John

Reply to
John

What are doing with the laptop? Neither card is certified for any CAD program. I have a Radeon 9800Pro in my home machine and it isn't certified, but UG and Pro/E run fine on it.

Reply to
Ben Loosli

Just want to do some light 3D model (less than 1000 features, helical sweep, a bit of surfacing, a lot of patterning features, family table part & assembly, assembly with less than 20 components with family table) while on the plane and on vacation.

Reply to
John

If I were you, I would take ATI Mobility Radeon 9700 (better for CAD than GeForce FX 5700)

Best Regards, J. Jarocki

Reply to
Jarocki

As I mentioned in the other post, the Radeon Mobility is big trouble. Ben is having his work fine on his home DESKTOP machine, but the Radeon is not the same as the Radeon Mobility found in laptops.

Regards

Reply to
Pete

Thank you all for your additional input.

Even though many users don't recommend ATI Mobility Radeon, I am still going with Dell. If ATI giving me too much trouble, I may have a chance to upgrade to Nvidia card later. Effectively, based on my own research most of Inspiron 8xxx series display adapter is upgradable in the past. I can't vouch the same thing for HP though.

Reply to
John