Graphics Card requirements for SolidWorks 2008?

I'm thinking of buying a laptop, to run SolidWorks, and I'm wondering if a Nvidia 1500m graphics card will still be adequate when I eventually upgrade to SolidWorks 2008?

Does anyone out there know if the 1500 will work?

Note I intend to run Windows XP not Vista.

John Layne

John Layne

Sign up for the beta. That's where the information is, so it's actually under NDA.

Dale Dunn

Thanks Dale,

Shame I had to sign up to a Beta to find this out, a laptop for me is a significant investment. I'd hate to buy something that would be obosolete within a year, within 2 years is ok though!

John Layne

John Layne

On 8 May 2007 16:49:03 -0500, "John Layne"

Reply to
jjs

I did say "Eventually upgrade" - this was meant to imply I would be dragged kicking and screaming to click that upgrade button. My gut feeling is that

2008 will not be a good year for SolidWorks users, with all those different Operating Systems SolidWorks will have to support - Windows XP, Windows XP (64bit), Vista 32bit, Vista 64bit (plus several sub flavors of Vista, the names of which I don't want to educate myself about until forced to by the Man)

Plus the earliest I'll install Vista 64bit and SolidWorks will be around SolidWorks 2009 SPA. Without the potential extra memory benefits of Vista

64bit I really can't any point, what so ever, of any SoildWorks user using Vista 32bit.

Hopefully network rendering in Maxwell will be a lot easier after this months release, with the new laptop I'll be able to make use of at least 2 of my 8 Maxwell licenses. That change in the licensing policy was rather generous, for us old beta users. Now I just need to win the lottery to buy more Pac's to run them.

Thanks for the 3 year warranty tip, I have never been able to justify a Laptop till now (will still delay it a month, to see if I can do without it - working for a new client) and didn't consider the problem of reliability - so far I always fixed my PC's myself never had a warranty issue, all failures have been after the warranty period. I can't see myself taking a screwdriver to a laptop, well at least not until the warranty period is over.

John Layne

John Layne