Window size/feature selection

Is there a way to dictate the window size pro opens to? I have a 1920 x 1200 screen and when pro opens and fills pretty much all of that screen' selections become sluggish or impossible until I drag the window to a smaller footprint

Reply to
Robert

Hey Robert,

Try adding "windows_scale" option to your config.pro and changing the setting. The setting is a coefficient less than 1. I usually keep mine around .85.

Hope this helps.

--Adam Joseph Cook, Mechanical Engineer

Reply to
Adam Joseph Cook

Well, I hope this helps, too. But, I usually keep mine at 1 and never had this problem, even on Toshiba laptop with an nVidia Geforce 2 GO display adapter with

16 megs of video memory, driving a 15" screen at 1024x768 res. IOW, this is NOT A NORMAL PROBLEM of screen resolution.... unless you've set yours way beyond that which your display adapter defaults to. Is 1920 x 1200 your default, optimum "resolution"? Or just what you're trying to drive an inadequate card to fill that slick new 24", 16-9 aspect ratio LCD at. So, have you checked out the adapter/driver issue? That's what I think of first when I hear of goofy problems like this one.
Reply to
David Janes
1920 x 1200 is optimal res (native). It only makes sense that the more pixels in the active screen area the more work the card has to do to find the proper pick. I'm currently using a quadro 980 xgl nvidia card witth very mature drivers to drive this acer al2416w monitor. I'm waiting on an nvidia fx 1000 which will let me focus bothe dvi processing engines to the one monitor which should improve performance. At the very least I'm sure it will improve the performance slowdown which occurs while using many windows. The same 980 xgl driving 2 1280 x 1024 monitors doesn't miss a beat no matter how many windos I throw at it..

Reply to
Robert

I'm sure this can get more complicated than my underwhelming knowledge of relevant issues will support but I'd disagree and guess you might be on to something at the same time. Check out the config option pick_aperture_radius. Might help.

Reply to
Jeff Howard

In looking into this a little more, I've discovered a couple things

  • The nVidia 980 xgl gpu is at least 4 years old; most of the literature dates from 2002. So, while it supports OpenGL, I suspect that you'd be content with its performance about as much as you would the 4 year old computers it ran on;
  • The Quadro4 980 XGL is a certified and supported card for WF2, so there is no official reason why it should not behave perfectly (full-screen included)
  • Window size (i.e., total number of pixels) has never been a limiting factor for Pro/e selection as OpenGL is not based on pixels but on geometry drawing commands: it is a vector based graphics system for vector based graphics programs, of which, Pro/e is one. "The Pixels be damned, full speed ahead!"
Reply to
David Janes

Thanks. Upon further testing it seems that when I shrink the window, items I couldn't pick or had a difficult time picking are now much easier to select - as I've explained before. Yet when I bring the window back to approx. where it was I don't revert back to or lose any selection sensitivity.

I still have a quadro fx1000 coming. We'll see if that helps. Supposedly one can direct the processing power of both outputs to one large monitor.

Reply to
Robert

Stumbled across this. Maybe related. Similar subject. Win64 and certain builds though no mention of resizing window.

(Thought I'd cross post it in case someone tries searching before asking )