C-R-M: OT- Best Hard Disk Imaging Software for XP ?

Off Topic:

I'm asking for opinions on best hard disk imaging software for a Windows XP system. I want to periodically make a binary image of a partitioned drive so I don't have to go through the painful process of re-installing all of my software after (inevitably) reloading Windows XP.

I'm looking for something that can do full a image back up to & retrieve from a USB external drive. Needs to be from a partioned drive where I have most of the data and executables on D: but all of the registry and installation stuff on C:

If you have personal experience with a package that does this I would appreciate any tips / links. Especially any "gotcha"s and/or really nice features. I'll be Googling on my own, of course!

Thanks! JCD

Reply to
pogo

I've not tried it (don't have to backup MSWin boxes), but Clonezilla might be worth a shot. Clonezilla Live provides a boot CD that should be able to access your USB drive. It also claims support for NTFS filesystems and provides a tool for editing the hostname, group, and SID of MSWin clones.

- Daniel

Reply to
D Herring

Cool. I'll look into it. Thanks ! JCD