Clear domes

At some point in the past, a link was posted here for (relatively) cheap clear plastic domes to be used as a robot head. These are actually bird
feeder covers, now sold at birdfeeding.com:
http://216.247.247.169/miva/merchant.mv?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=B&Category_Code=Bird+Feeding+Accessories
At $35 for an 18" dome, it's about 1/2 the price I've seen elswhere for things like camera domes. These will have a hole at the top, while the camera domes have a lip around the rim to fasten it down.
I was wondering if anyone had actually bought one of these and could give feedback as to how it worked. One thing I'm interested in is how clear the plastic is. The description says it is UV stabilized, and it looks a bit tinted in the picture.
Chris Candreva -- snipped-for-privacy@westnet.com -- (914) 967-7816
Christopher X. Candreva wrote:

http://216.247.247.169/miva/merchant.mv?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=B&Category_Code=Bird+Feeding+Accessories
I haven't used these - But I HAVE used:
http://www.globalplastics.ca/domes.htm
The prices are about the same (depending on dome thickness) and they'll do custom sizing. The domes also have flanges (you can specify the size).
The only drawback is that there is a minimum order of $60.00 -- I just ended up buying two domes (about 16"). Because these are custom jobs, you need to allow some turnaround time to get your order.
You can see one in my office mounted on one of my robots -- no pics, you'll need to use the teleoperated robot link below. The robot with the dome is to the left of the desk at the end of the room.
Hope that helps -- taFkaks
--
(Replies: cleanse my address of the Mark of the Beast!)

The Artist Formerly Known as Kap'n Salty wrote:

Also, as was pointed out to me earlier, the dome looks squashed when viewed through the robot. Actually, however, it is perfectly hemispherical -- I just need to fix the aspect ratio of the camera client.
Cheers -- tafkakS
--
(Replies: cleanse my address of the Mark of the Beast!)

: Christopher X. Candreva wrote:
: The only drawback is that there is a minimum order of $60.00 -- I just
Thanks -- I had seen these, but I only need one, so the $60 min makes it for all practical purposes $60 for 1. Unless someone else is looking for one also, and they'll ship to different addresses on the one 'order'.
: You can see one in my office mounted on one of my robots -- no pics, : you'll need to use the teleoperated robot link below. The robot with the : dome is to the left of the desk at the end of the room.
Took a while, but I got over to it. :-)
Chris Candreva -- snipped-for-privacy@westnet.com -- (914) 967-7816
The bird guard domes are indeed super clear but at the top of the dome is the connector for a rod that holds the cover. Also there is writing engraved at the top of the dome. We use these domes for R3 droids. Here is a pic.
http://www.rebelscum.com/photo.asp?image=http://www.rebelscum.com/toys2/r2dc_04/DSC01438.jpg
Andy
-- (914) 967-7816

: The bird guard domes are indeed super clear but at the top of the dome is : the connector for a rod that holds the cover. Also there is writing : engraved at the top of the dome. We use these domes for R3 droids. Here is : a pic.
:
http://www.rebelscum.com/photo.asp?image=http://www.rebelscum.com/toys2/r2dc_04/DSC01438.jpg
Thanks -- that looks good. The hole isn't a real problem, I figure I can use it for mounting something - an antenna, blinking light :-).
About where and how big is the writing ?
Chris Candreva -- snipped-for-privacy@westnet.com -- (914) 967-7816
The writing is in a circle 2.5 to 3 inches from the center of the dome. Its just some frosted writing that is easily sanded off and then made clear with a little heat from a cigarette lighter.
-- (914) 967-7816

is
http://www.rebelscum.com/photo.asp?image=http://www.rebelscum.com/toys2/r2dc_04/DSC01438.jpg
Cool dome! Got a pic of the entire R3 as well?????? And is that one of those 'plasma lamps' sitting in the 'eye'??
--
Bye, Ray

http://home.hccnet.nl/raymond.van.elst /
Don't have the R3 finished but do have a working R7. Yes that's a plasma lamp as the main eye. Lots of Droid talk here:
Andy

is
Here
http://www.rebelscum.com/photo.asp?image=http://www.rebelscum.com/toys2/r2dc_04/DSC01438.jpg

Does anyone know of a good source for 5"-7" clear plastic domes?

Sorry about reposting, but does anyone know of a source for 5"-7" clear plastic domes, for smaller robots?
tgray wrote:

http://www.polydroids.com
Hope that helps -- taFkaks
--
(Replies: cleanse my address of the Mark of the Beast!)

message

Thanks, exactly what I was looking for.