Laser height measurement.

I need a laser detector with a target area of 400mm and high precision.
While there are a number of proprietry systems out there, I can't find one
that gives me a serial output.
Any help would be appreciated.
Joe
maybe you can better define your requirements
do you want (1) a laser position sensor that senses objects AT a range of 400mm or (2) senses object WITHIN a total range of 400mm? If (1), then there are several on the market that I can think of (Banner, Keyence, others) that may suit your needs. If (2), I think you're out of luck...laser triangulation sensors don't work like that.
High precision...specify. Resolution to what? 1mm? 0.001mm?
And if you want a position sensor that gives serial output, serial output of what? The ON/OFF transition? Or some value describing the resolved distance in the sensing range. You're probably not going to find either one of those. You'll probably only find analog outputs to describe positions within a range, otherwise it's a digital thing.
Sorry to be so anal, but inquiring minds want to know.