UAVs and Robotics - what is legal?

I don't know about the legal aspects, but the AMA provides insurance for model airplane hobbyists. Here is a link to their safety rules,
with links to some regulations:
http://modelaircraft.org/templates/ama/safetycode03.asp?sidMDB9E0E6C3148DAA269CFAA89ECB020
Good luck Roy

My Professor research focus has been on MAVs. This page gives a good outline of what he does. There are a few academic papers on the site as well if you look around.
http://mil.ufl.edu/~nechyba/mav/index.html
Jim