Advice on 9+ Foot 24mm powered rocket

One of my Team America kids emailed me that he's working on a rocket planned to be over 9 feet tall that'll consist of 18 inch sections of BT-80 to BT-60- to BT-55 to BT 50 to BT-20 to BT 5, using balsa transitions. I suggested running the MMT through a couple BTs & foaming where possible. Maybe I'm over-reacting, having thoughts of super-rocs, though these are stronger tubes in shorter sections. Any advice? -- Richard "helped 56 Girl Scouts fly Alpha 3s today.....it was rewarding, though kinda strange seeing nothing but 56 of the same thing fly " Hickok

Reply to
Rhhickok

I think you aare both over reaction, or reacting badly. Of course I don't know what 24mm motor you will be using. Just be sure to glue all those balsa adapers in. Don't rely on a friction fit to carry body bending loads.

Alan

Reply to
Alan Jones

Alan Jones wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

My 60" Rhinebote has a BT-80 booster, BT-55 2nd and 3rd stages, and BT-50

4th stage. The 24mm MMT/stuffer tube runs up through most of the 3rd stage. There are no longitudinal stiffeners, just centering rings, and it's quite resistant to bending loads despite the heavy 4th stage ballast to compensate for the 6 fins on each stage.

len.

Reply to
Leonard Fehskens

You said "bending loads"....hehhehhehhehhhehhehhhehheh

Reply to
Gene Costanza