Aerotech G-Force experiences

Any rocket over 1500g is an HPR rocket. NFPA 1127 requires HPR certification to fly an HPR rocket.

Reply to
Bob Kaplow

Well Bob, I guess I'll concede your literal interpretation you presented, regardless of what has been my experience and that of a few others.. (:-)

Found any new and interesting Fly-Cutters lately??

Fred, I not anal!!!

Reply to
W. E. Fred Wallace

Actually, this used to be a bigger issue. MR had its defined limits, and HPR had its defined start. All these wierd cases, like a 1501g rocket with a G80, a cluster of 6 D12s, or any rocket with an F101 or G33 were in a limbo zone that was neither MR nor HPR. One of the few times I managed to convince the NFPA folks that their regs were flawed was this case, and all the gray areas were defined as being HPR.

Reply to
Bob Kaplow

313 of the old ones or 250 of the new ones! The total impulse in either case will only be an F motor. 6 D12s or 4 E9s put you over the 125g limit as well.

To summarize for those who might still be confused: exceed ANY of the many model rocket limits, and you have a high power rocket. And to fly a high power rocket requires user certification except for your cert flight attempt. The attempt requires the use of a high power motor, so you can't L1 cert with a cluster of D12s or E9s. There's got to be an H or I motor in there somewhere.

There are and always have been some major inconsistencies between the MR and HPR safety codes. The example I like to use is the 1499g rocket flown with a cluster of 3 F50 motors. It's a model rocket, doesn't require certification, and the safe distance is 30'. Now add 2 grams of wadding to the rocket, and it's now HPR, and the safe distance jumps to 200', more than 6 times the original safe distance.

Reply to
Bob Kaplow