Age restrictions to fly hobby line RMS motors?

What are the age restrictions (how old do you have to be) to assemble and fly hobby line RMS motors (18mm, 24mm or 29/120mm) up to G
impluse? I understand High Power certification requirements, but can someone under 18 purchase, assemble and fly hobby line RMS motors?

Hi Bruce, RMS motors need to be purchased by those 18 or older.
the CPSC has rules on that.
If you are underage, your parents can purchase and supervise you.
This has always puzzled me. I agree completely that you may not purchase the motor if you're under 18. But take a look at http://tinyurl.com/ajh2f for example. The other stricture is "keep out of the reach of children." I don't know what that means in a legal sense. Does it mean "don't let kids get at this accidentally"? Or does it mean "kids can't touch under any circumstances"? Makes me glad I never went to law school! 8)
Cranny Dane wrote:

--
Will Marchant, NAR 13356, Tripoli 10125 L3

I am a senior NAR member with High Power Level 2 certification. I am trying to understand the "law" and the "rules" since we have several under 18 members in our local club that want to fly hobby line RMS motors.
So, they can't purchase the motors but they can assemble and fly with adult supervision? Does it have to be a parent or legal guardian?
Think about any other item that has an age restriction to purchase, but not "use".
Children cannot go and get their own prescriptions filled, but they have prescriptions written for them and handed to their parents or legal guardians. obviously the children will "touch: the prescription medicine, but they generally do not carry the bottle of medicine around with them. Obvious exceptions include asthma inhalers, but for those emergency injections, they are in the possession of school teachers or nurses.
Booze is illegal for children to use - period. Very different from the RMS regulations which only apply to purchasing and safeguarding.
-Fred Shecter NAR 20117
http://www.sirius.com /
bruce:
I personally allow minors to assemble,use,prep,etc under direct adult supervision on site. This person may not be the parent or legal guardian. We do require written or verbal prior approval from parents or legal guardians for the minor in question to use, assemble,prep,etc As long as there is direct adult supervision in the chain I don't see a problem.
shockie B)

No.
Where you been? We missed you the past couple weeks :-)
Bob Kaplow NAR # 18L >>> To reply, there's no internet on Mars (yet)! <<< Kaplow Klips & Baffle:    http://nira-rocketry.org/Document/MayJun00.pdf www.encompasserve.org/~kaplow_r/ www.nira-rocketry.org www.nar.org
    S&T is becoming this decades Steve Weaver!
kaplow snipped-for-privacy@encompasserve.org.mars (Bob Kaplow) wrote:

I was told that if only I would stop posting, the content level on rmr would improve dramatically.
They were all wrong.
It actually got worse.
Jerry

"S&T is becoming this decades Steve Weaver!"
Yep.
Jerry Irvine wrote:

Then why did you come back?? Are you planning a relapse?? (:-)
Jerry Irvine wrote:

I disagree, Jerry. Of the 274 topics posted to during your blessed absence (incarceration), only 22 have had inane bullshit inflammatory crap spewed at them (Brad Guth). When you were actively posting, 99% percent of the threads on rmr were be-spoiled by your vile hatred of everything "not Jerry" and other successful ventures, companies, businesses, people, organizations and affiliations.
stve "hey! who stole my e! I bet it was jerry" blom
Brad, I lost the little tube of grease that's used to lube the O-rings in my F24-4 RMS reload kit.
What do you recommend as a substitute?
Me wrote:

Probably just his tub of KY lube....
Ted Novak TRA#5512 IEAS#75
tdstr wrote:

Stop it! You're making brad excited, or maybe we should call him "scatman guthers".
Dave Grayvis wrote:

ewwww, I'm officially grossed out. Almost as bad as Kosdon in a speedo....almost.
Ted Novak TRA#5512 IEAS#75
tdstr wrote:

I guess You've never seen Frank bend over to pick up a dropped O ring or such.

I have but I am really waiting for Brad's reply.
Jerry

Just about anything that allows the O-rings to slide enough to properly seat will work. Vasoline, automotive grease, Slick-50, KY, Brylcream, ear-wax should all work. I'd bet even sunscreen would do.
Bob Kaplow, I suppose if your "just about anything" grease doesn't become near solid when cold or otherwise thin-out or simply react badly when hot, much less burn, then you've got the job of packing each of those O-rings with your proven "just about anything" grease. - Brad Guth

hey mr twit:
I didn't even see your response at first, since I kill filed you as soon as you started polluting this group with nonsense. Something I haven't even done to Jerry Irvine, which should tell you exactly where you rank.
May I ask how many RMS motors you've flown, and for how long you have flown them? Personally, I've used about 200, and have been flying them since they were first released in 1990. Some of my first casings had serial number 003 on them when they still had serial numbers.
The grease on the o-rings is simply to ease the assembly process. The motors will actually perform fine even if NO grease at all is used in the assembly process. About the only real grease related concern is not using TOO MUCH grease on the ejection o-ring. Any more grease than what it takes to make them shine is too much.
Grease type only matters in hybrid motors, where there is N20. There you need to use something non-reactive like Krytox. RMS motors are NOT hybrids, and the type of grease just doesn't matter.
But I'll make an exception in your case, and recommend that you use KY jelly, based on your expected use of the RMS motors.
And don't bother replying, as you're still in my killfile.