Aircraft destroyed by hazmat fire

http://www.cnn.com/2006/US/02/08/ups.plane.fire/index.html
"...UPS DC-8-70 from Atlanta to Philadelphia at around midnight on February 8,
2006.
Crew first smelled smoke twenty-three minutes prior to scheduled landing and declared emergency. SMOKE/FIRE warning light illuminated three minutes prior to landing. Aircraft burst in to flames upon emergency landing in Philadelphia. Crew evacuated through cockpit windows using escape ropes, were examined for smoke inhalation and released. Total hull loss with zero reportable injuries. Two known pieces of HAZMAT aboard: amyl methyl ketone and tire repair kits.
These guys did a brilliant, by-the-book job of saving their own lives."
Photos were amazing. Can't post them here.
Do not ship hazmat without following proper procedures.
-Fred Shecter NAR 20117
http://www.sirius.com/
Umm, I doesn't say anthing about Hazmats causing the fire ???
Well, I know that "you doesn't say anything about Hazmats causing the fire". I never said you did.
I provided a quote and a link to an article about the incident. I never said the quote came from the link I provided. I never quote from a linked article when I provide a link since that is moronic. I got an e-mail with lots of detailed photos and the quoted text (which directly mentioned the hazmat). Then I searched the web for news stories about the incident. I found one and provided the link. There. I've chewed your food enough for today.
http://www.cnn.com/2006/US/02/08/ups.plane.fire/index.html
"...UPS DC-8-70 from Atlanta to Philadelphia at around midnight on February 8, 2006.
Crew first smelled smoke twenty-three minutes prior to scheduled landing and declared emergency. SMOKE/FIRE warning light illuminated three minutes prior to landing. Aircraft burst in to flames upon emergency landing in Philadelphia. Crew evacuated through cockpit windows using escape ropes, were examined for smoke inhalation and released. Total hull loss with zero reportable injuries. Two known pieces of HAZMAT aboard: amyl methyl ketone and tire repair kits.
These guys did a brilliant, by-the-book job of saving their own lives."
Photos were amazing. Can't post them here.
Do not ship hazmat without following proper procedures.
-Fred Shecter NAR 20117
http://www.sirius.com /

Thanks for the post Fred. I'm glad they are ok.
This must be the incident I heard about on Wall Street Journal radio yesterday where they recommended smoke hoods for pilots.
One thing to mention is that this was a cargo aircraft designed to carry hasmat and not a Passenger aircraft.
Also I heard on radio reports yesterday of Aircraft wiring burning, I'm not sure if it was in regards to this incident, but the results I heard were recommendations of aircraft warning systems and fire suppression systems behind bulkheads holding the 100s of miles of aircraft wiring.
I would assume this is related ?
Whenever there is an aircraft fire, the media digs into their archives and finds the most spectacular reports. That would include the wiring fire incidents of the recent past.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swissair_Flight_111
http://www.aviationtoday.com/reports/wiring9.htm
etc.
EPOS
http://www.smokehoods.com/products/epos.aspx
EEBD
http://www.viking-life.com/usr/viking/VikingDotCom.nsf/va_webpages/OtherProductsoEEBD?opendocument
Crew members get masks with oxygen supply (and headset/microphone). For emergency egress, there is EEBD for crew members and EPOS for passengers on some aircraft.
I get paid for this.
-Fred Shecter NAR 20117
http://www.sirius.com /

finds the most

recent past.
Thanks Fred,
I forwarded this to Gorden Deal so he can make sure to get tomorrow morning's report correct.

Just to make this thread somehow rocketry related I hope none of the parts I ordered were on it...
Andrew

Were they "Model Aircraft Parts"????
http://www.sirius.com /
On Thu, 16 Feb 2006 18:21:35 GMT, "Fred Shecter"
Oooooo...
In the words of Kelso of That 70's Show...
BURN!
<g>
tah
--
Tod A. Hilty
Hilty Information Systems

Da plane! Da plane! Da plane is on fi-uh!
We don't need no water let the ... what ...oh... wrong song.
Randy www.vernarockets.com
If they were I would have posted in Rec.Model.Airplane.Parts wouldn't I.
I post pertinent information to the newsgroups they belong in.
Maybe you should try it sometime:-)
Andrew

Obviously that joke went right over your head.
This thread was extremely "on topic" for this newsgroup.
Google the 'parts' thing for past messages about that sensitive subject as it pertains to rocketry and shipping.
-Fred Shecter NAR 20117 http://search.ebay.com/_W0QQfgtpZ1QQfrppZ25QQfsooZ1QQfsopZ1QQsassZshreadvector http://www.sirius.com
http://www.sirius.com /
I guess it is obvious that I'm not stuck up Irving's ass all the time like some of the posters on this newsgroup.
Andrew

Who?
--
Tweak

says...

Irving - the hundred-and-forty-second fastest gun in the west.
Me wrote:

Ah, a Doctor Demento flashback.
snipped-for-privacy@prodigy.net says...

I was thinking Julius, but I just didn't see how basketball fit into the discussion.
--
Tweak

Tweak wrote:

I was thinking Washington, but didn't see how a headless horseman could be involved...
David Erbas-White
David Erbas-White wrote:

While it's true He had no head, He did have a flaming pumpkin, which somehow may be rocketry related.
@prodigy.net says...

It could be confused for a basketball, perhaps.
--
Tweak