An Objective Look At The Ray-Gun Administration

Alex Mericas

Objective? From one of the most far left columnists in U.S. media today?

LOL!

Reply to
Vince

You entered the wrong address.

Reply to
Steven P. McNicoll

In 1983, the Social Security Program was running a small deficit. RayGun legislated an increase in witholding that was supposed to take care of this deficit. Not ONE PENNY of the collected increase was alpplied to the Social Security deficit. Just wait til about 2010 or so.....they'll be intergenerational warfare between The Boomers and Generation X over funding Social Security benefits. It'll make the BATF proposals on rocketry look like a walk in the park

Reply to
Joe

One point you're missing, the President cannot spend a dime or pass legislation. The Congress (and specifically the House) is the only body that can introduce legislation and spend money and they decide what to do with any increase in revenue. The House was controlled by the democrats during the entire Reagan presidency.

And nothing that ever comes out of NBC/MSNBC could be regarded as objective, whether it is an editorial or not.

JR

Reply to
J Ransbottom

Reply to
Alex Mericas

The Democrats are fond of pointing out that Reagan never submitted a balanced budget. They fail to mention Congress spent more than he requested every year.

Reply to
Steven P. McNicoll

Partial truths are not the sole property of congress. rmr has its share as well :)

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

Please... don't distort this group with facts. ; )

Randy

Reply to
Randy

The primary problem with the Federal Ponzi Scheme, otherwise known as Social Security, is that it exists. It cannot deliver what it promises. It should never have been implemented. The best thing to do would be to terminate it. You can't realistically blame Reagan for a program that was passed 45 years before he was elected.

Reply to
Steven P. McNicoll

And that's because it's doing so many things it was never supposed to do. The original design of the program is about 20% of what it is servicing now.

Randy

Reply to
Randy

You should have to live on what SS gives out, and just how are you going to pay for the welfare that people on SS or SDI will apply for and get?

Reply to
Starlord

Back when SS started... the start age for it was a few years *beyond* average life expectancy. So, today you should not recieve Social Security until you're into your 80's.

Reply to
Scott Lowther

I don't want to live on SS. I don't want to have anything to do with it at all.

Reply to
Steven P. McNicoll

Tell that to people who are over 50 today and have had social security taxes taken from them their entire working life. I can guarentee one thing: Baby boomers have been used to getting their own way from the cradle, and they wield an impressive amount of political clout. The Boomers will get what they feel they deserve from the Social Security sytem even if it breaks the back of those younger than them to pay for it. It's like the saying we had in the Marines."Pull up the ladder bub, I've got mine."

Reply to
Joe

Right. Let's keep the program going until it causes the government to collapse.

Reply to
Steven P. McNicoll

Now there's a plan! :)

-dave w

Reply to
David Weinshenker

A democratic congress...

Bob Kaplow

The biggest problem with Social Security is that the folks that run it (congress) have their own system and aren't dependent on Social Security for their future. The quickest way to fix it (other than end it now and some how pay back all the $$$ stolen from the taxpayers) is to eliminate the seperate government pensions, and make ALL of them up to the president dependent on the same Social Security that will never gove you or me a dime in our retirement.

And to take it one step farther, ALL government agencies and employees should be subject to EXACTLY the same rules and regulations as the rest of the country. None of this rules that apply to business or private citizens but not to the government crapola.

Bob Kaplow