Bought a couple Hawks Hobbies kits...

...a couple LMR kits intended mostly for notice-not-required demo flights and for sentimental reasons...

- Super Cherokee (upscale Cherokee D, 2.34inx40in, w/ 3x24mm motor mounts, with {dig it} a 9.75" balsa nose cone)

- Super Trident (upscale Estes Trident, 52.5 in long w/ 24mm motor mount, with a 7" balsa nose cone)

Anybody put these kits on steroids?

Reply to
Andy Eng

Hi, Andy,

I've seen both of them at McGregor launches. They look like pretty good kits. And the Hawkins seem like great people. The web site's not very dial-up friendly, so I only gleaned a few details off it. But the Cherokee 3D is listed as having a 2.34" OD. Not sure the ID, but it will surely take anything that fits in a BT-70, so I suggest a light steroid treatment.

Make the triple-24 MMA removeable, then you can swap single 24's, 29's or even 38's in it. I did something like that with one of mine recently:

For the Cherokee 3D, if the tube is thin-walled (ala the Firefox 2.34" tube), then some light glass is in order. OTOH, if it's more like 54mm motor tube, I wouldn't bother.

Maybe add an insert to the nosecone base so you can remove the screweye to add/remove nose weight.

Hawks Hobby is sponsoring the DARS Classic contest, now moved to our November launch. If I win a prize, I just might get to try this.

Doug

Reply to
Doug Sams

These kits were fresh from the factory. Huge balsa cones, size of which I haven't seen for decades. Got my two...

The fins are ply TTW hence the tempation...

Your bench looks nothing like that of a circuit designer. You've entirely waaaaay too much time.... Will ponder a 1x 29mm option though...

Yes, it's thinwall....

Seems like enough tube to work a dual rig for internal rigidity.

For some reason, built stock seems nice too.

I think I'll open the Trident first...

Best, Andy

Reply to
Andy Eng