California air regulations affect rockets and cows

You know, what's equally sad is that there is a key aspect of Hispanic culture that is so easily exploited..the work ethic. Hispanic men and women
work and they work hard. This fits well with the Puritan work ethic that permeates our culture. What is missing is the idea of social responsibility and delayed gratification. Centuries of unrest and revolution have taught many Hispanics that one should live for the moment. Savings and investment are impossible when the government may change in a moment's notice. Thus, if you have $100 spend it. Spend it on your friends and family because they are the only constants. Make children because they bring you happiness. The church tells them no birth control...abstain from marital relations instead. Fat chance. If the world denies you every other pleasure what remains? Ignorance of other possibilities and other potential futures is maintained by the idea that one must begin work as soon as possible and by the cultural concept of peasantry.
We are missing out on a great deal of potential societal gain here by perpetuating this system. If this love of hard work could only be coupled with education and self-restraint think of what we might accomplish together.
As yourself why Hispanics come to the US. What do they want? They want work. They want food. They want a future for their children. Sound familiar? It should. It's the thing that drove so many Europeans to these shores 100 years ago. The great "unwashed" of a century ago has become us. The same can happen to the illegals too if we can control the tide and if we devote ourselves to aculturaization and education. We are after all, made of the same genetic material and possessed of the same potential for greatness.
--
R. J. Talley
Teacher/James Madison Fellow

Yep. I guess Ray can't grasp the concept that we are a nation of immigrants and that he is the minority.
Phil Stein wrote:

I don't have a problem with legal immigrants. The people sneaking in illegally are the danger.
8
On 28 Aug 2005 13:27:21 -0700, " snipped-for-privacy@aol.com"

Our government is as inept at controlling immegration as they are at controlling explosives - know what I mean.
Reece Talley wrote:

While I admire the rosy sentiment, Reece, I have to fault you on a few historic details. Many of the Irish who "emigrated" in the 19th century were, in fact, transported. That was a common punishment given to Irish guilty of the crime of being poor in time of famine. The Irish who survived the trip on the coffin ships (there was no economic incentive for the captain of a coffin ship to ensure the continued health of his human cargo) had to take jobs other immigrants had the luxury of turning down. Many jobs were closed to the Irish. "No Irish Need Apply" was often posted on hiring notices. The railroads were built on the backs of Irish transportees. Coal miners were largely transported Irish.
This doesn't excuse the exploitation of the Hispanic one bit, Reece, but don't delude yourself with the idea that European immigrants all came voluntarily. They came here because they had no other choice. And unlike the Mexicans, they had no way of easily getting back to their homeland.
Bill Sullivan
"I think so Brain, poit, but where do you stick the feather and call it macaroni?" - Pinky
message
Weren't just a few of those R.R. workers Chinese?
Maybe they were from Eastern Ireland. ; )
Randy http://vernarockets.com /

Remember they met in the middle - the whole "Golden Spike" thing.
How about "The Fighting Irish"?
Oh well, back to rocket stuff....
-Fred Shecter http://search.ebay.com/_W0QQfgtpZ1QQfrppZ25QQfsooZ1QQfsopZ1QQsassZshreadvector
My Great Grandfather was one of these. Helping dig the Wabash & Erie Canal by hand. Then went on to help biuld the railroads. When my Grandfather went into the nursing home I brought home a child hood treasure, his work bench. Now it is not much but full of great memories. In one of the drawers much to my surprise was a box with a Smith and wesson 32. Now my Grandfather was dead set against guns. Shortly after he called and wanted to get this gun back and give it to the police. I asked about it and was told his father was so scared to come home at night from the rail yards that he carried it for protection. I still have that pistol and will pass it and the story onto my son.
Dennis
message

I didn't go into all of that because it was off the point. I'm pretty well versed in the history of immigration though and what you say is indeed, correct. I did not mean to imply that past European immigrants were all voluntary. Sorry if it came across that way.
--
R. J. Talley
Teacher/James Madison Fellow
Reece Talley wrote:

No apologies needed, sir.
Truth to tell, I'm quite pleased that my great-grandfather decided to emigrate from Bantry. (He came voluntarily.) Despite its many blemishes, America has been good to me and I am proud to be an American.
Bill Sullivan
"Well, I think so Brain, but I can't memorize a whole opera in Yiddish." - Pinky
reece is historically accurate when he says one culture dominates and takes advantages of other cultures...its been going on since the birth of civilization.... white people just seem to be predisposed to be the cultural elite... I mean sheesh, look at the mess called Africa.....and contrary to popular believe, we are also in a cultural war or struggle with fascist islam, just as we were in a culture war with the west vs communism....
shockie B)

Once could even take it several notches more basic and blame it on the nature of animal life. (Yes, I'm serious)
Herbivores evolved to "steal" the nutrients plants had so patiently collected; carnivores found a more concentrated source - the herbivores! So one could argue it's in our nature to take advantage of the weaker/slower/less sophisticated; to "acquire" more than we "earn." When we stop doing this, we've become truly human. Of course, the salries of CEO's and basketball players says this is unlikely any time soon.
Oh, and I don't think it has anything with being white. The other races just haven't had as good a supply of others to take advantage of.
Scott Schuckert wrote:

This reminded me of an article I read recently that left me slack-jawed (and bear in mind that the writer was serious, not being 'funny').
The article was about highly-paid CEOs in low-performing companies. One line (when talking about CEO's who earned, let's say, $4,000,000 annually), "Who do these guys think they are? Movie stars??? What do they DO to justify these outrageous salaries???"
David Erbas-White
Reece Talley wrote:

Yep. When the "open borders" folks say we need illegals to do all the dirty work at dirt-cheap wages, they are advocating abuse and exploitation.
On 28 Aug 2005 10:48:01 -0700, " snipped-for-privacy@aol.com"

We don't need no stinkin illegals to do our dirty work, just lots of cheap robots. ;)
Alan Jones wrote:

Yeah, but the cheap robots are made in mexico.
And, about a week after being placed into service, will be joining unions...
EXACTLY EXACTLY EXACTLY... every body else that has come to this country did it the "right" way... they waited their turn and went thru the red tape....and guess what? they even learned the english language and assimilated into out culture....
shockie B)

did
I agree with 99.99% of what's been listed here but guys... some of us were here well before 1492. ; )
Randy http://vernarockets.com /
snipped-for-privacy@charter.net wrote:

And I'd love to meet one!
TK