derugulation of model rocketry

folks, I'm confused. Alot if not most states have the typical fireworks exemption for model rockets and model rocket motors... the so-called recoverable aero models clause..

And now model rockets are regulated by nfpa fire codes....since 1968.

SO it appears that we got model rockets successfully exempted from most states fireworks laws, then turned around and placed model rocketry under nfpa fire code regulations....

Tell me this makes any sense:

remember back in the late 50's there was amateur rocketry and then model rocketry came along... model rocketry has always been touted as the safer alternative to amateur rocketry....well today almost 50 years later, amateur rocketry is still totally deregulated in most states (except for california) from the state fire codes while model rocketry which is supposed to be on an orders of magnitude safer, is regulated to death with nfpa fire codes. I am not saying that AR should be regulated; I am saying that we need to get model rocketry completely and totally deregulated just like AR is...

comments? thoughts?

terry dean

Reply to
shockwaveriderz

One reason why modroc motors are regulated is that they are commercial products. Not only that, but they are available for use by children. That said, I'm not sure what it is about model rocketry regs that you think needs changing. Modroc regs are really quite minimal. Virtually anyone can buy them, no certification or government permit is required. If you're concerned about restrictions on launch sites, that is a separate issue that affects all levels of rocketry including amateur rocketry.

Secondly, I think it's somewhat inaccurate to say that amateur rocketry is completely unregulated. AR mostly falls under a different set of regs, some of which are more restrictive than for modrocs. Some are simply ignored because they are unenforceable (unless you screw up big-time).

Reply to
raydunakin