Dog Barf and other things

I don not know what 'dog barf' is....figuratively....and a few other things I've read about...probably pretty common abbrev. for you folks
i.e. hmmmm was it CE? etc. but I'll soon figure it out.
Seems to me it'd be alot easier to use an 'ejection baffle kit' than to collect 'dog barf' lololol
What a cool concept; the ejection baffle, not the dog barf.
Balsa parts? Very nice!
The big advantage to cellulose insulation, i.e.. "dog barf" is that it does a really good job of protecting the 'chute, much better so than a baffle, IMHO, which eventually will either clog or fail. Dog Barf is 100% biodegradable, comes in a huge bale for just$5.00 at the local hardware store and it is very very light. I've used baffles, DB and 'chute wadding and prefer the DB. It is especially useful when teaching a large group of newbies. It's so easy to use and so forgiving that the learning curve is very short. It also tends to work like a piston. Even if the tube is so large that the charge cannot fully eject the DB, it will push the recovery package out with almost 100% certainty. That's been my experience. YMMV
--
R. J. Talley
Teacher/James Madison Fellow

IMHO dog barf is the WORST wadding around. It's too easy of rhte ejection to jsut blow a hole right through it and burn your chute. I ALWAYS use a wrap of something around the chute to back up the dog barf.
The only reason to use dog barf is that it's cheap.

That may be true of the Aerotech mesh style baffles, but not the old Centuri style baffles that I use in MR, LMR, and HPR with 100% success.
"To enslave men, successfully and safely, it is necessary to have their minds occupied with thoughts and aspirations short of the liberty of which they are deprived. A certain degree of attainable good must be kept before them." Frederick Douglas, "My Bondage and My Freedom," 1855
Bob Kaplow wrote:

A good technique to use, no matter what type of protection one is using. I always do that, because it seems to assist the chute in a "clean egress".

--

Greg Heilers
Registered Linux user #328317 - Slackware 10.1 (2.6.10)

Zman wrote:

I lean toward using baffles as opposed to wadding. I now install baffles in every one of my new rocket builds, after being terribly disappointed with dog barf and sheet-style wadding.
S-style and Centuri-style baffles do a nice job of protecting the parachute, the shock cord, and the shock cord attachment. I've 20-year-old rockets whose Centuri-style baffles are performing just fine, never having clogged or blown apart.
I've recently starting installing S-style baffles in smaller diameter rockets and have been very impressed with their performance, again with no clogging or wreckage.
If you want to improve recovery reliability, baffles are definitely the way to go. You're right, what a cool concept!
I wonder if you might mean CA? That would be cyanoacrylate. I'll not say anything further about that to avoid yet another para-religious glue thread.
As an enthusiastic cloner, I also have great appreciation for balsa parts. Very nice, indeed!
Dwayne Surdu-Miller SAROS #001
Dwayne Surdu-Miller wrote:

Since he was asking about "dog barf", perhaps his using the abbreviation "CE", meant "canine egestion".
:o)
--

Greg Heilers
Registered Linux User #328317 - SlackWare 10.1 (2.6.10)

Yes I meant CA, and after cruising the hobby shop I realized how obvious CA was.....anyhow.....
It took me a few days of rereading the postings and then the hilarity of 'para-religious glue thread' hit me.
I understand....almost wet myself....but I understand.....