Estes Mercury Redstone-suggestions?

Getting ready to start building my Mercury Redstone, anybody have any suggestions or tips before I get started? Bill Bahus

Reply to
Bill Bahus

- test fit the 3 capsule pieces before you get glue on them ...

- we brush painted our escape tower but spray would come out better, if you do it before you join it to the capsule. no good way to mask it that I could see ...

- definitely put primer & white paint on the body tube.

- patience and care will get the roll pattern decals on straight. draw very light pencil lines on the body tube to help align one edge of the sticker. same with big red UNITED STATES stickers too.

most of all, enjoy yourself!!

Reply to
Cliff Sojourner

I agree with all Cliff's advice. I would add that you should be prepared to spend a lot of time on the capsule, especially the escape tower. Test fit, adjust, test fit, adjust, test fit, then test fit one final time before even thinking about glue!

-Scott

Reply to
Scott Oliver

Good advice! The escape tower is a pain in the a$$. My tower turned out lopsided and not quite triangular.

J.A. Michel

Reply to
J.A. Michel

Replace the stick-on decals with waterslide decals from Tango Papa. He has a full set for that kit, including CORRECT decals for the Grissom flight - the stock Estes stuff is only partly right - there aren't any MR-8 decals for the base of the rocket.

Note: I'm just a satisfied customer. Tom Prestia is a heck of a nice guy.

mj

Reply to
Mark Johnson

Bill,

I have the Centuri version but it should be simular to Estes.

As mentioned below test fit all parts of the capsule first. I sprayed my capsule (mat black) and the tower (glossy red) seperately and then glued both sections together.

Here a closeup of the capsule:

Here the complete rocket:
More pictures can be found on my website
under "Rockets" ->

"Centuri".

Good luck.

Leo