Estes Snapshot to Rastrocam??

I just got the new Snapshot thinking it was the exact same thing as an astrocam rocket but it looks like the nose is smaller. Can it still be modified to be a Rastrocam? I have an astrocam unmodified at my summer place but i can't get it for a while and this nose cone just looks different. Is the procedure the same? Thanks

Reply to
DH

The new Snapshot does not use a string as the tripping method. It has a slide that is caught by a pin that is pushed down and held in place by being placed in the body tube. ( I will try to post some pics to a.b.m.r. ) The Rastrocam counted on extending the trip string around the top and down the side into the body tube. You would need to come up with a way of tripping the shutter while mounted backwards. I sure some clever person will come up with a novel solutions.

Reply to
Bruce Canino

After looking at the Smapshot, the slide does has a hole in the end where you could tie a string to. I haven't tried it but I guess you could tie a string to the end of the slide and route it thru the upper body tube and around like the old Rastrocam. Of course you have to cut out a slot in the upper body tube so the trip button isn't held down.

Reply to
Bruce Canino

Hmm. Interesting. I have an old astrocam as well as the snapshot. The fins on the astrocam broke before i ever flew it so i was going to modify 1 and have the other camera for parts. Guess i will modify the astrocam and keep the snapshot around for parts. I just always hated the thought of usign a c6 engine in a camera rocket. My launch field isn't more than about 300ft by 400 ft and i am always afraid of losing the camera so the rastrocam concept will let me use a b engine and have a almost 100 percent chance of retrieval.

Reply to
DH