Exclusive Deals

TRA member?

IEAS.org

Form a "co-op" to ween folks from the dealer? Need help? Seriously.

Not in this industry!

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

wouldn't.

So basically you're saying that the only reason you won't buy it locally is because you don't want to. If that's the case, why are you whining about it? It's your own choice.

Reply to
raydunakin

Hmm, a dealer who denigrates RSOs and publically disparages hobby orgs, is uncooperative, deliberately alienates everyone else in the hobby, and threatens to sue whenever someone states the real facts... Hey Jerry, when did you move to the UK?? ;)

If the manufacturer won't ship to you, maybe one of his US dealers will?

/
Reply to
raydunakin

Jerry, we're talking inert stuff like Hybrid motor casings and reloads, motor retainers, electronics, odd bits and pieces.

Reply to
Niall Oswald

Couldn't comment, I'm afraid.

Most of us do to get hold of stuff from the US.

Thanks for the offer though :-)

G.

Reply to
Graham

Just to add my bit, I have recently placed and recieved orders from several overseas dealers - WCH, AeroPack, Commonwealth Displays, AeroSleeves, PML and Aerocon.

In one case I had to explain why I was unhappy going to the 'official' UK dealer for a product I wanted, but other than that all of the companies I have ordered from have had no issue with selling direct to me.

I can particularly recommend AeroPack direct sales - shipping is $6 (a bit more than 3 quid) from the states, takes 5 days and when you factor in the exhange rate... :)

The way I see it is that since rocketry is a niche market, few small companies are going to refuse your money!

Reply to
Niall Oswald

I supose it could be something people on your side of the pond moan about. "Freedom of Choice" Just because as i and others don't want to buy from a particular retailer dosn't mean we don't want to buy the product. Having exclusive deals restricts sales as well as purchase. I would if able buy from other UK retailers there are several. Or if i coose direct from the US. At the moment with a good exchange rate for us purchases can be made from the US even including shipping substantialy cheaper at times than here in the UK.

I want to be able to choose where i buy from not be forced into buying from one particular dealer.

Damian

Reply to
Damian Burrin

Pity not all dealers feel the same way

Reply to
Damian Burrin

Sure puts the manufacturer between a rock and a hard place, if the distributor with whom he's made an "exclusive" agreement turns out to be someone that the potential customers would rather not deal with!

-dave w

Damian Burr>

Reply to
David Weinshenker

Jerry didn't, but I guess given your antipathy towards Jerry, a good illustration of Damian's point would be if Jerry were to have an exclusive deal on some kit you wanted and the mfr in the UK wouldn't sell to the US except via Jerry. See where most of us are coming from?

Except I've dealt with Jerry, and found him to be a decent guy to deal with.

YMMV, but that's my experience. No flames, please.

G.

Reply to
Graham

Ray, sometimes I wonder about you.

Reply to
Phil Stein

Not quite. Some people like Jerry :)

Reply to
Init 6

Got it in one. Manufacturers need to be careful that the distributors don't damage "their" reputation with poor customer service. People tend to hold grudges for a long time.

Reply to
Init 6

So it sounds like this dealer that y'all don't like to deal with makes the bad rumours about Jerry come true...

-dave w

Reply to
David Weinshenker

Those that interact with me anywhere free of rmr noise.

That's alot of folks.

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

That's unusual. Jerry usually takes care of that himself. 8-)

Reply to
Phil Stein

Well, you ay have a locak dealer that's a jerk, and a US manufacturer with an exclusive agreement with them. So bypass both and order from a US dealer that will ship to the UK.

I just ordered something that I can get locally but is made in France from an internet dealer in OZ. And regularly order US products from Canadian web vendors.

Bob Kaplow

:)

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

I thought the original point of this thread was that the manufacturer asked dealers in the USA not to ship to the UK?

I have no idea if it would be legal for a manufacturer to not ship product to a dealer who violated such a rule.

Nobody has really explained yet what advantage a manufacturer gets by having an exclusive dealer in the UK. The dealer gets some advantage by not having any competition.

Brian Elfert

Reply to
Brian Elfert

The manufacturer (Pratt) refused to ship direct. Fine.

The dealers of the manufacturer in USA were not at issue, and it is unlikely dealers have a contract preventing export. Hence Kaplow's ingenious post.

If so, that manufacturer (Pratt) should be shunned (like USR in Tripoli) in the USA, europe, oceania as well as UK.

"Hopefully" ganged shipping cost reduction.

Key word hopefully.

Jerry

P.S. It should be noted Pratt chose an exclusive dealer that the locals HATE with a passion. He should be shunned on bad judgement alone!

Reply to
Jerry Irvine