Exclusive Deals

:)
kaplow snipped-for-privacy@encompasserve.org.TRABoD (Bob Kaplow) writes:

I thought the original point of this thread was that the manufacturer asked dealers in the USA not to ship to the UK?
I have no idea if it would be legal for a manufacturer to not ship product to a dealer who violated such a rule.
Nobody has really explained yet what advantage a manufacturer gets by having an exclusive dealer in the UK. The dealer gets some advantage by not having any competition.
Brian Elfert

The manufacturer (Pratt) refused to ship direct. Fine.
The dealers of the manufacturer in USA were not at issue, and it is unlikely dealers have a contract preventing export. Hence Kaplow's ingenious post.
If so, that manufacturer (Pratt) should be shunned (like USR in Tripoli) in the USA, europe, oceania as well as UK.

"Hopefully" ganged shipping cost reduction.
Key word hopefully.
Jerry

P.S. It should be noted Pratt chose an exclusive dealer that the locals HATE with a passion. He should be shunned on bad judgement alone!
Jerry Irvine wrote:

That does seem to be the nuts of the matter, doesn't it... I doubt there would have been any complaint if the local dealer hadn't been unpopular (or caught on the wrong side of a local political feud?)
Sounds like we need a British rocketry tabloid reporter or two, to reveal the Ugly Rumours Behind The Truth etc. - it's not clear how many sides this story has. Maybe we're looking at some of the smoking fragments whizzing by from some British equivalent of the Powertech affair? I'm ready to reserve condemnation until I hear more of the juicy parts...
-dave w

I can certify it is not as ugly no matter how much attention it has achieved ever so briefly on rmr.
Note Powertech has dominated the HPR/TRA/rmr/local debates for better than a decade now.
With no end in sight.
Jerry

Jerry Irvine wrote:

Yeah, people who've been defrauded tend to have long memories, especially when the person who defrauded them won't even make good on the court judgement.

I'm sure Doug did what he thought was right at the time and was unaware of the problems with that dealer. He is the best dealer I've encountered in rocketry. Knowing him, I think he will try to rectify the situation to everyone's satisfaction.

I have no issue with Doug, i've spoke to him afew times via email and seems a really nice guy. My comment was do exclusive deals such as the one doug has with deepsky benifit or advantage the consumer.
Damian
--
Damian Burrin
UKRA 1159 Level 2 RSO

It might benefit consumers that don't hate that particular dealer. Sometimes dealers get an exclusive territory to make sure it's worth the effort and expense of stocking an item. Otherwise, it's possible that no one will stock the product.
Jerry Irvine wrote:

locals
As usual, you run off at the mouth without engaging your brain. How was the manufacturer supposed to know that the dealer would end up being so unpopular? No one has said anything about it until now.
On 28 Apr 2005 09:28:42 -0700, " snipped-for-privacy@aol.com"

Imagine if someone did what Jerry suggested with his tube manufacturer. 8-)

Key word end-up?
No. Key word long-since.
:)

As much as I hate to enter a thread with Jerry in it (which is almost all of them these days) I want to make a point.
I was perfectly aware that Paul Lavin of Deepsky was not universally beloved when I entered into a business relationship with him. I spent three days with him, months ago, before we did anything formal business-wise. I have since conducted quite a bit of business with Paul. Nothing in any of that experience has led me to question his character or honesty. He has my complete confidence.
Shipping orders overseas can be a colossal pain. Having one point of distribution greatly simplifies the process and saves me a lot of money, time and grief.
Before anyone questions my judgement, let me ask you how you get from two or three disgruntled posters to "dealer that the locals hate with a passion." Especially when that comment comes from someone whose public statements have often turned out to be, shall we say, somewhat questionable.
Thank you, people, for the confidence you've expressed in me and in Pratt Hobbies. If that reputation gets tarnished in the future, I can assure you it'll be because of my screw-up, not someone else's...and not Paul's.
Doug Pratt dad-at-pratthobbies-dot-com
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

was
so
snipped-for-privacy@rocketryonline.com wrote:

I'm not sure 'hate with a passion' is the correct phrase. Most of us prefer to expend our energies on other things rather than hating, and stick to merely 'disliking' or plain and simple not dealing with the UK company in question, even though many of us did trade with the same company under previous ownership.
Perhaps the reserved comments and the preference to just walk away from the situation despite repeated provocation are English traits we use well.
To address a question posed in an earlier message by Dave W, regarding what has been going on over here, trust me that the opinions voiced do have extremely good foundation, but none of us over here really want to have to deal with vexatious litigation for telling it as it is. Maybe one day, but I'm sure nobody across here who's been involved will put anything in writing until everything has been fully checked out by real lawyers and cleared as merely a true representation of events (based on extant documentation and signed affadavits) and not the basis for any form of legal action. As the situation stands currently, until a contentious but non-litigious document has been agreed with lawyers for publication, you'll have to bear with us while we walk away from provocations.

Thanks for supplying good kit Doug, and direct service pre-all-this was absolutely second to none too.
G.
--
Graham J. Platt
graham (a) bowhunter (d) demon (d) co (d) uk

It might help if you guys just stand there and yell at each other to get it out of your systems. Then you can just walk away & forget about it. It might not work every time but it does sometimes. 8-)
Phil Stein wrote:

LOL!! Nice idea Phil, but I'd have serious reservations about some of the involved parties being mixed together in a confined space.. You familiar with the word 'hypergolic' ? ;-)
G.
--
Graham J. Platt
graham (a) bowhunter (d) demon (d) co (d) uk

I thought you guys had better self control than that. AT least you don't have to worry about someone carrying a gun. 8-)

But they can have as much 0276 as they want.

0275

Can you bury me in 0275 and light it faster than I can draw a gun and fire?
:)