Extreme Rocketry has lost its mojo....

Everything in moderation. Graphics for the sake of graphics is bad. One of the worst I've seen is the table of contents over a photograph. BAD. Messes up a nice photo, and you can't read the text!

Bob Kaplow

I've always been fond of the Aerobee 300 myself. I've made some parts for a BT-60 one that I was threatening to build for scale last NARAM.

Peter Alway

Saturn Press PO Box 3709 Ann Arbor, MI 48106-3709

scale data at:

PeteAlway

I didn't see NARAM treating HPR as a second class citizen. For 5 of the 7 days, you had absolutely no wait to fly your HPR or any other sport model. Even the weekend there never were any real lines.

NAR is and always was about COMMERCIAL PRE-MADE CERTIFIED motors, and that will not change. If you want to do amateur stuff, there are other places to do that. You don't have to give up NAR membership to do so.

But then at LDRS you can't win a trophy for BG or HD or eggloft altitude either.

Bob Kaplow

I told you my news reader doesn't. There's your proof. 8-)

Reply to
Phil Stein

But they did have some great prizes for the Bowling Ball Loft at LDRS. I think every participant got something.

I like an occasional BG. IMO the eggloft isn't nearly as cool as BBall Loft.

Reply to
Phil Stein

Two comments:

  1. When a bowling ball augers in you don't get that cool foaming splatter of egg whites. :-) [If you look at the various winners of 'Best Midwest Qualified Flight' for the past few years you will see that Bob gives bonus points for how high the eggs splash!]
  2. Relative to the size of the rockets eggs are a bigger challenge, because they are both massive and fragile. [By this I mean that a
2 ounce egg in a C motor rocket relates similarly to a 10 pound bowling ball in a K motor rocket - but the bowling ball won't splatter!] If you can think of an avian or reptilian species that has a 6 to 8 pound egg, bring 'em on!

msj

Reply to
<mark.johnson

Been there, done that.

I like Sport Rocketry, but they do seem to queue stuff up behind the NARAM reports. To be honest, this is fair enough. It's the NAR's magazine and they want to report their national events.

On balance I still like it better than the alternatives, ER - style over content, and HPR - not obtainable for me.

Reply to
Darren J Longhorn

Here are some specifics on the subject.

ER Issue #40 - Page 4 - That's good. There is some info & 2 pictures in the space that would otherwise have been a bunch of empty sky. I'd have liked about 1/2" bigger. More like this would be a good thing.

Page 5 (contents) the picture on the right is the same as the cover photo. Why not a different picture? I can't believe that there wasn't another relevent picture that could be used. The same comment goes for the picture on the left. It is on page17. Also, I think both of these oictures convey the same feeling & information in both the full page size and the less that quarter page size. That means there could be more cool pictures in the same a mount of space.

Pete Alway Interview - as much as I like seeing Pete,I don't think all those full page pictures contribute to the interview. Maybe if there were more pictures of Pete with his model or researching something in Smithsonian library for a paper or book or model.

NSL 2004. Pages 20-21 is good although it does some hunting to find the caption.

10x Mars Lander Project. I like how Page 20 has the pictures inserted. What's up with the skinny columns? That's something high school kids do to make it look like their term papers are longer. The rest of the article loooks good although I'd either skip the picture on page 32 or use a different one.

Obtaining the permit. See comment about high school term papers. That is a one pager. Page 35 is a bigger picture of the page 34 picture! Give me a break!!

Experimental Rocketry. Ah the good old high school term paper again.

That's enough. Hope you get my point by now.

I have not made comments about the articles. I realize that not everyone will like the subject of every article.

I received the November / December issue of Sport Rocketry today. I really like there is no wasted space. There is a slight overlap of pictures in cases where it doesn't detract from the picture. Also, it's easy to find the captions. Also, they have a very good picture of Pete 'Hollywood' Alway.

Lets not kid ourselves, no one is ever going to mistake ant of these magazines for art. Since we know know that they aren't art, the magazines should concentrate on representing the hobby.

Reply to
Phil Stein

Keep in mind that it's all a function of what photos are provided. My guess is most folks don't send in much with their articles. I was fortunate with the one launch report I did -- I had four or five people taking pictures for me, and I was able to cull those to about 50 pictures from which Brent could choose.

Interviews are printed with the photos that the interviewee provides. In almost every case, folks have told me it's a challenge to find good photos of themselves to send in. Face it -- most of us don't collect photos of ourselves.

Yeah, that struck me as a bit weird....

-Kevin

Reply to
Kevin Trojanowski

Good point.

Reply to
Darren J Longhorn

So you haven't watched a pony keg loft?

Reply to
Joel Corwith

I fully agree with you about using the same photo twice, it's a waste.

Reply to
RayDunakin

Point.

And understatement.

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

Or fly a rocket (any rocket) without standing in a 2 hour+ line.

Or paying fees well higher than the NAR launch being compared.

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

When the event is over you don't see "bowling ball toss" being informally flown as a sport launch.

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

And both ER and HPR are severely lacking. HPR even admits it over and over, then continues promises WELL above their capacity.

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

Utimately it is the CONTENT that matters more.

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

I offered to fix it in 1990.

I have never had the same offer of "yes", even temporarily, from the TRA insiders since, despite MANY offers.

Not even today.

Think of this fact. They STILL have nothing to loose to try.

Jerry

Reply to
Jerry Irvine