Happy Anniversary RMR!

If any one is still there, today is the 21st anniversary of Mike Jungclas' proposal to create RMR:

Here's the email I got from Mike that day:

From: DECWRL::"att!ihlpb!rjungcla" 9-Sep-1989 03:13:41.36 To: snipped-for-privacy@pobox.dec.com CC: ihlpb!rjungcla Subj: Proposal for "rec.rocket" newsgroup on USENET

Bob,

I started a draft for a proposal to create a newsgroup on USENET call rec.rocket. I welcome your comments and suggestions!

========================== Proposal ============================== CALL FOR DISCUSSION on the creation of rec.rocket (unmoderated).

It is hereby proposed that a newsgroup "rec.rocket" be created for the discussion of any aspect relating to model rockets AND high power rockets. The purpose of this newsgroup would be fr exchange of information to anyone wanting TO BUILD, FLY, OR USE model rocket or high power rockets. These are viable alternatives to amateur rocketry.

The term "model rocket" is defined based on non-metalic structural components, weight, propellant and total impulse restrictions, electricla ignition, recovery devices, and FACTORY-MADE, solid propellant engines. The tern "High power rocket" refers to any rocket using modle rocket technology (as described above) except without the weight, propellant, and total impulse restrictions of model rocketry. The term "Amateur rocketry" refers to all other non-professional rocket activities. Included in the last class, are "basement bombers", any attempts to make homemade engines, and anything using metalic structural parts.

As you may be aware the first commercial launch vehicle launched from Cape Canaveral was the LOFT-1. (see Jan or Feb. issue of Science) This was a "high powered rocket" as defined above. Access to these high power rockets are becoming more widespread.

The information content of this newsgroup could be of interest to the sci.space, sci.space.shut, sci.astro, and rec.models.rc newsgroups. A seperate newsgroup is proposed to consolidate the "hobby/non- professional" interest in rockets and to avoid cross-posting with the forementioned groups.

Send your comments to: R. Michael Jungclas UUCP: att!ihlpb!rjungcla AT&T Bell labs - naperville, IL Internet: snipped-for-privacy@ihlpb.att.com ========================== End of Proposal ==========================

Reply to
Bob

It's had good times, *really* bad times, and now a pretty quiet time. But I've really enjoyed it over the years.

Reply to
Joe Pfeiffer

It's hard to believe, Joe, that I've been here 10 years myself. When I began then, folks were already talking about rmr in the past tense, like it had already seen its glory days :) But I loved it, mud fights and all. I thought it was the best rocketry forum (although there was only one other broad based rocketry forum then, ROL). I like the natural feel the place had. I thought moderated forums felt too sanitized (and still do). Plus, usenet is still about the only place where you can actually sort the posts into the actual thread orders, so you can see what responses go with what posts.

Alas, the biggest problem the place had wasn't the trolls (IMO) but the troll feeders. I think that's what nearly killed it, too, when one poster, who shall remain nameless, couldn't stop trying to vanquish another poster, who shall also remain nameless.

Most folks would rather leave altogether rather than simply skipping over the subjects - and posters - they don't like, so the place is pretty quiet nowadays :( I've seen this carried forward onto other forums where folks insist on having every little thing moderated rather than simply stepping past the cow patties while enjoying the flowers :)

Anyway, happy b-day, rmr.

Doug

.
Reply to
plano-doug

Happy Anniversary RMR! I haven't posted in years, but's comforting to know it's still here.

Andy

Reply to
Andy Pastuszak