rockets and gliders

I'm still playing with the basics of rocket-assisted gliders. Here's a question: which is better (or easier) - boost gliders or rocket gliders? Boost gliders seem the most straightforward because they use an essentially "box stock" glider and haul it up behind a boost pod. Rocket gliders, on the other hand, have the advantage that they are one piece; easier to track and maintain.

Right now, I'm working on hand-launched glider construction. My plans are to first build it light (and make it fly!), then build it strong, then make it into a boost glider. I'm also building rocket gliders at the same time, but I have to follow other folk's designs. I've started with Geo. Gassaway's Xebec (and similar - plans from JimZ), but will start on some sliding-wing designs next month. I'm also limiting *most* of the engines to 14mm. I've flown several 18mm powered boost pods, and they did well, it's just less stressful when you get a ground loop instead of a vertical boost. I followed one of George's recomendations and went with a much longer boost pod when I made a Flat Cat. It weather-cocked slightly, but was fairly vertical. Glider did great (I've found that a little nose-light on first flights is a good thing!), but lost the boost pod (tall grass).

Anyone else enjoy the delights and frustrations of gliders?

(btw - you folks need to review the links on your pages - a whole lot of them are dead now - all of the Geocities links are, certainly)

Reply to
lektric.dan

Yes, years ago I designed a canard configuration boost glider which was a lot of fun -- really need to dig out my plans and do it again....

I don't think I'd bother with building, then strengthening, then adding boost: just build it the way you want to fly it.

One of my back-burner ideas is a canard rocket glider.

Reply to
Joe Pfeiffer

One of the sayings of the local club (usually said in a very loud voice) is "You just reached the speed of balsa" (or paper and plastic, or ...). I'd like to *avoid* this particular for of (gentle) ridicule. The wings are big, long, draggy cantilevers. One thing I've done to increase strength is to glue craft paper strips to reinforce the glue joints. Might try this w/Tyvek (plastic paper), if yellow glue will bond it. That stuff seems almost impossible to tear!

I'd like to see the plans for that! One of the gentlemen in the local club makes big "delta-wing" rocket gliders that have a pop-up canard on the engine tube. He calls his design the "BORG" (Big Old Rocket Glider). With a 29mm engine, they are a sight. I can email you a short video if you want to see one (unfortunately, the engine didn't pop out and it did a nose dive). The entire video is an .asf but I've edited it down to just the flight into an .avi file - but lost the audio in the edit.

Since the binaries newsgroups have essentially died, how can we exchange designs/drawings/pictures?

Reply to
lektric.dan

You moght want to review the RMR Boost Gllider FAQ. Bob Kaplow has a lot of experience with composit material reinforcement of boost gliders, so you might look for additional tips from Bob.

The alt.binaaries.models.rockets NG is still working. I posted a Superoc R&D report there a few weeks before NAMRAM-52. As it turned out, there was a high qualification rate jin F-SR, but a very high DQ rate in DEL. But yes, rocketeers do not seem to use the mewsgroups as much as they could.

Alan JOnes

Reply to
Alan Jones

I have a copy of that. Some good stuff, a lot of dead links too.

I'll have to see if I can find a way to pick the binaries back up.

Reply to
lektric.dan

Alas the auto distribution of the RMR FAQ seems to be frozen in the past, and no one knows how to update the antique files.

The latest version of the glider FAQ can be found at

If there are dead links, please let me know, and I'll do what I can to fix them.

Reply to
Bob

I like to play with them some. I have some more ambitious glider projects ahead, but up to now, mine have been pretty simple. Interestingly enough, I just posted a little section on gliders to my website:

Comments/feedback welcome.

I have several of the Edmonds Thunder kits, all of which I think are good subjects for RC conversion. My Ecee Thunder is set up for that, but it's been in the unfinished pile for years. I need to get it finished and get over the hump.

Doug

.
Reply to
plano-doug

Thanks for sharing, Doug. I'm part of a NAR group up in Norman (OK). Great stuff on your web pages. If you're ever up this way, give a shout; our weekly meetings are on Sunday morning at a local Mexican food spot. My brother lives in Dallas, and we've spoken about making it out to a DARS shoot. Maybe we can get a few folks from up here interested in heading down too.

Reply to
lektric.dan