Interesting double cato

Hi all, I had what I have to call a double cato this morning. I put a Quest B6-0 and C6-7 into my Quest Navaho. When I pushed the button, there was a big whoop sound and the upper stage smoking and falling to the ground. On investigation, the booser motor had cato'ed (2nd one from this package of motors) causing a cato (well a spit nozzle) in the upper stage. Only minor damage to the rocket, but it was a bit of excitement.

Fly straight and true!

MikeyR

Reply to
BRMutti

Say, hasn't the certification on both of those motors lapsed some time ago...

Bob Kaplow

Well yes, Bob, but only 3 months ago... Don't have any more, either...

Fly straight(er) and true!

MikeyR

Reply to
BRMutti

Just curious - does a lapse of certification somehow affect anything other than NAR/TRA sanctioned launches. FOr example, when I go out to my favorite field, is "certification" relevant?

Reply to
bit eimer

Isn't it in NFPA states?

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

I don't have any idea - hope someone else does. Don't you, Jerry?

Where can I read the NFPA? Is AZ an NFPA state?

Reply to
bit eimer

Good question about AZ in particular. I don't recall but shockie posted a partial list sometime back. Maybe email him direct. He seems to have put more time into this issue than anyone.

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

Depends on your state law. In most states, yes, it *IS* relevant. PRK may be an exception.

Bob Kaplow

Correct. Hence the commercial damage as a result of the TRA decert.

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

Guess you should have done what all the other manufacturers have done. If you had, you'd be selling certified motors today instead of whining on rmr.

Reply to
RayDunakin

Jerry is not needed anymore. He knows it. We know it.

TED

Reply to
SCE Switch to Aux

And having a court affirming a 35 year position.

That worked fine right till TRA decertified the motors and instituted "extra legal" policies.

At some point their affirmative acts MATTER.

Jerry

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

This is not news.