Launching from water

I am a sophmore high school student that has just gotten into rocketry, or at least into building them. I know somewhere between a beginner to
intermediate knowledge of rocketry in general, as well as model rockets. I am also starting my own NAR section at my school. I haven't actually built my first actual rocket yet because i have yet to buy the motor, or at least my engineering teacher hasnt gotten me one, or should i say several.
Anyway, I remember my engineering teacher recently saying that next year, we will be working on building and designing Remote Control, and wired control (i.e. we still control the motors, but it is wired to the unit) underwater vehicles. That got me the idea of launching one of my rockets from the subs, and perhaps even making real small rockets that launch horizontally at the other subs making a kind of mini-sub war thing(hey my school got 5th in the nation for the recent BattleBots IQ competition(note: my school's robot was the Pahalator if you are going to check, and our school is Robert Morgan), so it might work). Anyway, I was wondering if anyone has attempted an underwater launch of a model rocket, and if so, were you succesful, and specifics.
Thank for your time. The PhyreFly

1963-4 time frame. It was written up in an early Model Rocket Nws, either the compilation "Best of Volume 1&2" or in Volume 3. In the 70s John Kalb built a super scale Polaris launched from an underwater sub mockup.
The original attempt was a featherweight type rocket (streak, mosquito) with the nozzle / ignitor end sealed with wax.
The problem with governments is that citizens need to keep them on a short leash; unfortunately the nature of the beast is such that governments can usually arrange it so that only they hold their own leash.
about the feather weight type rocket that sealed with wax- do u mean that sealed it up with wax to prevent the electricity from traveiling into the water?

Where are you located. Lots of us "old rocketeers" ahve this stuff filed away in their basements.
We have awakened a sleeping giant and instilled in it a terrible resolve. -- Admiral Isoroku Yamamoto, WWII.
Yes we do, don't we. Although I am still trying not to admit I am old. Chris Pfendler
writes:

http://nira-rocketry.org/LeadingEdge/Phantom4000.pdf
www.nar.org
IIRC a few years ago there was a couple of guys in Canada that did a lot of work on launching rockets from under the surface of a lake. Try this and see if it leads you anywhere.
http://www.maxthrust.net/displayarticle209.html
Josh
THanks guys. This is a lot of help. By the way, i live near miami, FL, but i dont think there are a lot of rocketeers in my area. thanks for all the links. It has been a big help.
On 24 Apr 2005 11:14:31 -0700, "PhyreFly"

Check out Tripoli West Palm Beach. They're supposed to have a great field.

Check the www.nar.org web page for a section in your area.
... One nation under surveillance, divisive, with liberty and justice for none.