LEUP for APCP motors.. What about KNO3 motors including sugar?

Tolerate? If it's going on regularly then the authorizing body which is so graciously allowing us to use "their" skies might want to review the way they do business.

Anarchy now. Disband the FAA, the BATF, and the rest of the alphabet agencies. The government does not know best.
--
Tweak

Alex Mericas wrote:

AFAIK, the FAA has not tried to turn the 1500ft ceiling into a 62.5ft ceiling just because being tough on terror was good for someone's career.
Philip
----------------------------- http://www.OdorDestroyer.com Powerful pet odor removers for powerful pet odors.
OdorDestroyer.com wrote:

I'm sure you're referring to the 62.5 gram limit as if this is something the ATF came up with post-9/11. If so, you need to go back and do a little research. The ATF has been pretty consistent in their position since at least 1996 (when I entered the hobby). Congress just helped them with the so-called Safe Explosives Act.
Well I guess I will design and make some short 38mm motors having one grain of 62 grams. I will make those short motors and short grains and drive them to my launch site. Then I will disassemble those motors and stick the grains into my longer 38 mm motors... I made the grains for my short motors. Transported them as short motors. Then I manufactured a long motor on site and launched it.
What do you think??? Sound legal or not?
KT
snipped-for-privacy@pacbell.net wrote:

Well if it is not legal then there's on field propellant processing.
IIRC some folks from the RRS did just that when they sent a boosted dart up to 50 (stature) miles at Black Rock. Something like 1996 or so.
Ted Novak TRA#5512 IEAS#75
snipped-for-privacy@pacbell.net writes:

Still not. They've ruled that any reload grain that COULD be assembled into a <62g mortor is regulated. So even the G61 single 38mm grain from AT now requires an LEUP.
And if they ever find a way to put 7 D9 or D13 grains into a hunk of pipe, then even a D13 reload grain will be regulated.
snipped-for-privacy@pacbell.net wrote:

Not.
snipped-for-privacy@pacbell.net wrote:

The exemption lists black powder, APCP, and other similar low explosives.
The explosives list is not all inclusive. Just because it isn't listed there doesn't mean it isn't an explosive subject to regulation by the ATF.
One of the claims by the ATF in their justification for the new exemption is that regulation of the bigger motors would not create an undue burden on rocketeers. Be sure to notify the NAR/TRA of the specifics of why you can't get a permit as this could be useful to the lawsuit.
--
David W. Schultz
http://home.earthlink.net/~david.schultz /