Mars Lander?

Talking to the local hobby store guy today, he mentioned that Estes is re-releasing the Mars Lander.

Anyone else heard this?

Reply to
BB

It's a morph, and called the Outlander. more open body with fuel tanks instead of shroud/cone over the whole body. With a capsule on top.

see:

then after joining, go to photos to see new pictures.

/ArtU

Reply to
ArtU

Opps, the outlander photos are under the files->outlander section of the yahoo news group, not photos, silly me. Senior rocket moment.

/ArtU

Reply to
ArtU

I get an error trying to look at the second photo. Anyone else?

David Erbas-White

Reply to
David Erbas-White

I did too, but the other two photos were pretty good.

The legs are almost perfect copies of the original M.L.!

It's not the Mars Lander (snif!) but it looks o.k. - maybe a little white spray paint would fix things up a little! ;O)

Reply to
BB

Thanks - it's not the ML then - DARN!

I was hoping Estes would pull another Orbital Transport type gift for us oldsters.

Reply to
BB

it's called "Outlander" not in stock yet but good picture here:

speaking of new Estes, anyone get one of the hydrogen rockets? Sears told me they were "sold out" but I think they never went on sale there...

Reply to
Cliff Sojourner

Since that's just a drawing instead of a sample model, is this rocket going to be a real paper and balsa kit, or is it going to be all plastic?

It looks like it might end up being one of the molded plastic jobs. If so, it will probably be heavy. I'm hoping for a real paper and balsa kit.

Reply to
Tim

then go make one! in fact Outlander is somewhat "cosmetically challenged" so you could make some improvements on it.

it says "flies to 200 feet" so yeah, I think it will be a plastic job ...

Reply to
Cliff Sojourner

Reply to
J.A. Michel

Which should demonstrate to Estes that there is more depth to the "classics" market of re-issues than they give us credit for.

C'mon Estes!

- Mars Lander

- Interceptor

- Saturn 1B (the HARD PART - plastic CSM - you already have molds for)

- Scissor Wing Transport

- and finally, THE B14 ! ! !

...pretty please? ;O)

Reply to
BB

I am all in favor of a B14, but find a D40 far more likely. Higher profit and it can power most of the items on your list.

Jerry

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

I would like to see E15 motors also. especially E15-0.

Reply to
Cliff Sojourner

For sawing plastic, nothing beats a really fine razor saw blade. There are at least 3 blade styles, the finest has teeth so small you can barely see them, that's the one you want for polystyrene plastic.

Also, thick CA works really well gluing plastic to non-plastic.

The Outlander actually looks pretty decent, but the color scheme is a little lame IMO. I would paint it silver, for a retro 50's look, or maybe white with red & black details for a "Mars Lander" style to it.

I'll probably pick one up just to play with it.

BTW, BMS makes the Mars Lander nose cone. It should be easy to fabricate all the other parts to scratch build one. I may end up going that route, myself.

Reply to
BB

I have one, but my blade is a little more coarse for general balsa cutting duties. I'll look at the blades next time I get to a hobby shop.

I haven't bought thick in a while. I got pretty good at cutting and fitting while building a Kadet Senior (R/C plane), and don't really need the gap filling capabilities. I think I can get by with medium CA.

I like the retro look also. I need to pick up the Spaceship Handbook by Hagerty and Rogers to get some good ideas for mods and scratch building.

Same here. Once everyone actually get hold of it, I'm sure plenty of good modification ideas will pop up here.

I have a lathe and turn most of my nosecones now. I turned a bunch of nosecones out of pine, which is pretty light if you hollow it out a little. I ordered a bunch of balsa blocks and tubes from BMS not too long ago, so now I'm learning the tricks to turning balsa cones.

Reply to
Tim

DO NOT use regular CA to glue plastic. It will eat the plastic. Use the odorless CA as it is plastic friendly.

Karl Perry QUARK, Cincinnati, OH

Reply to
KG8GC