Model Rocketry is Popular Mechanics Cover Story

Got the latest, April 2005, issue of Popular Mechanics today. The main article headline is "The Backyard Space Race", subtitled "Who Needs NASA? Low-Budget Rocketeers Blast Off" The cover photo features a shot of a couple of HPR rockets at ROC-Stock in the Mojave Desert.

The article is centered on the rocketry, but wanders off into alleys of Pumpkin Chuckers, Monster Kites, Power Tool powered Vehicles, etcetera.

The rocketry details are a wee bit sensationalistic, but mostly on target. The AP link to Shuttle Boosters is mentioned a couple of times, as is the ATF interest in the hobby.

Check it out at your newsstands.

ScottE

Reply to
ScottE

Lucerne Probably.

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

I understand that Pop Sci has a similar story on HPR stuff targetted for this summer.

Disclaimer: The company I work for is in the magazine distribution business. Please run out and buy LOTS of copies :-)

Bob Kaplow

Ship me all the returns:)

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

jerry seems to know a bit about the magazine industry. 50% of the product sent out to stores is returned unsold, and shreaded. What other industry could survive with a 50% return rate. GM? Kellogs? Estes?

Bob Kaplow

ans.

Bottled water and other beverages like beer are regularly destroyed when out of date.

Reply to
Dave Grayvis

Ship me all the returns:)

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

industry

Reply to
Wayne Johnson

So is out of date milk, and spoiled produce. But 50% or more of what gets shipped from the Mfgr to the store? I doubt it!

What gets me is the expiration dates placed on the packages of aged cheese. I deliberately stock-pile them to get sharper cheese. Even the stuff I buy in WI from NARCON this weekend gets aged longer in my fridge. We had a chunk of Maytag "Baby Swiss" that got lost. I found it last summer, and ate it. Any one else would probably pitched it. It was a bit grainy, an amber liquid had collected in the holes, and I had to cut off the outside surfaces. it was the best, sharpest swiss I've ever eaten. Maybe the best cheese I've ever eaten. I ended up calling Maytag, and they said I last ordered in March of 1990, just after we moved to the new house. So it was 14 year old swiss! Now, where can I get more? We did get some 8 year old Cheddar during the NARCON trip.

Bob Kaplow