Motors > 62.5

Jerry,

I found my notes from the phone conversations I had with the ATF Public Affairs. The phone call(s) took place on June 10 2003. I had called the ATF to find out what they required in the way of permits after the May deadline. I spoke with Gary Comerford (I found the name and number on the ATF's web site) my basic question was what did the ATF now require in the way of permits for rocketry..Mr. Comerford started out by explaining that motors under 62.8 grams (his words) were still exempt but anything over that needed either a Low Explosive Use Permit or the new Limited Use Permit. When asked about having motors prior to the May deadline he stated that as long as the motors were obtained and stored legally they still could be used without a permit. But anything obtained after May would need a permit if they were over 68.5 grams (his words). He gave me a phone number to check on the status of my LEUP application and we ended the conversation. About 10 minutes later he called me back and placed me on a conference call with another ATF agent?Janel Johnson.. It was as if he wanted her to verify what he had just explained to me. we pretty much went back over what he had just told me..

The point of this is that as of June 10 2003 atleast in the Public Relations Office in Washington DC believes that they require a LEUP or LUP for motors over 62.5 grams (my words). Since they are the ones with the guns and ability to put me in jail I'm willing to go along with it until the courts get it all straightened out hopefully. I just didn't want to end up as the "Poster Child" for the ATF.

Tony Alcocer

Reply to
Tony Alcocer

make sure this gets to Bunny and the NAR/TRA legal team. They are making up rules that jst don't exist. The May change affects in state purchases that used to not require a permit that are now treated the same as out of state purchases. NOTHING ELSE! The proposed 62.5g limit is a subject of both litigation and the recent NPRM, neither of which has yet been decided. There is no 62.5g motor limit today. ANy one who says otherwise, especially a JBGT, is a LIAR.

Bob Kaplow

As yop know everything said was false and inconsistent with the law and the regulations.

Jerry

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

Actually I think you said it more succinctly than me.

Jerry

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

Jim,

I'm working from memory, and will look for the USPS receipt, but last year - must have been late September or October - once again, I don't remember the exact date - I received some warranty replacement parts and _several_ gift certificates from Aerotech that were supposed to go to you. I also had a warranty situation come up with them during that same time period, and it was taken care of in a timely manner, but apparently your order was sent to my address. I called Aerotech, and after some searching and attempt to verify your correct address, I personally mailed those parts to you - or at least to the best address they had for you at the time.

Did you receive that shipment? I spoke with Dianne at Aerotech after mailing it, to let her know it had been followed up and mailed. If there was a problem with the address, maybe it didn't get to you, but it was mailed, and even though Aerotech initially sent it to the wrong address, they did communicate with me on more than one occasion to figure out what happened and to make sure it went to you.

I've had only good experiences with their customer service, and even though I would consider a "shipment error" an aggrevation, they _did_ try to make it right, at least through me sending it to you. If you didn't receive it last year, have you contacted them since then?

I'm posting this in order to clear a little air, and not to prove you wrong or anything like that. I've seen packages before that seemed doomed from the beginning to not get where they were supposed to go, so if you didn't get it, it would be no great surprise to me. I do know they were concerned that you get your stuff, and I know I sent it, so if you did not get it, I'd certainly let them know again if I were you.

Pleasant regards,

Jeff Parker

Reply to
Jeff Parker