On-topic: More BS in the Granola State

Great. Now people are calling me a "Republican."

Zooty

Reply to
zoot

Mostly it consists of avoiding liability, any appearance of liability, and liability that comes from out of nowhere and smacks you upside the head.

Seriously, you got me thinking. I've done a number of rocketry programs, and it looks like I'm going to be doing at least one for a friend's son's Webelo troop.

Has anyone put a half hour lesson plan on the web?

Supply list (including Doug Pratt's Super Sixes - personal favorite) Lesson Plan Powerpoint presentation (I dump the Powerpoint slides to my digital camera, and then at the lecture connect the digital camera to a large screen TV - cheap and compact AV equipment!)

One evening, you tell them about rockets (30 min.) and build the rockets (30-45 min, with adult help), and then on a Saturday the kids use markers to decorate the rockets and then launch them. A motor packs from Michaels (with a 40% off coupon) aren't that expensive. With just A motors, you'll get most of the rockets back, even on a small field.

Zooty

Reply to
zoot

Oh, so you're the one responsible for Midnight basketball in the city? :-) I always thought it was a bad idea, especially when inner-city HS basketball games are played right after school so the kids aren't running around when it's dark out.

Mark Simpson

Don't count on it. Republicans give people jobs, not handouts.

Mark Simpson

No, I'm your daddy. ;-)

Mark Simpson

Poor people want handouts not jobs. Jobs take too long to earn the same money as a handout.

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

Good deal. I'm kinda particular when it comes to youth programs. ANYTHING to get them from the tv/video game thing is always the best. Whether it's sports or academics.

The potential with kids nowadays is truly phenominal. Too bad the rest of the public WON'T realize this :(

Ted Novak TRA#5512

Reply to
the notorious t-e-d

Sorry Mark but thats not true. Same apply's to Demorcraps and Liberals. It really has nothing to do with party politics. Well so to speak at least.

Things are beyond different now. Party politics don't *really* apply nowadays. It's all about 'what do I support that grants me the greatest net gain', period. Read this as....GREED.

People always gave me crap supporting Ronnie Raygun. Dude had 50% of

*politics* figured out right. Too bad no one has even come close since then :(

When I turned 18 I was a 100% die @#$^$&#^%&# hard Republican. I don't regret that decision I made back then. But that sure as hell doesn't apply to now. Never in my 37 years on planet earth I would've thought we(the US as an whole) be in our current predicament.

I've been laid off 5 times since 1991. To think I could put blame, or grace on a political party because of this is insane.

The Republicans giving jobs??? That's pure bullshit. Same as the Democrats 'providing' jobs. Same as Liberals 'providing' jobs.

It all boils down to who has the political power. The thing that kills me is that the politicians who makes these decisions are nothing but a bunch of spoiled brats(kohl/bush/clinton) that didn't have to actually work/pay their way through college/school/whatever. Silver spoon in spoiled cake assign mouth.

The more I think about this the more I like Arnold. He has more integrity than ANY, read: ANY, of our current politicians.

Ted Novak TRA#5512

Reply to
the notorious t-e-d

minor nit: you forgot the "s". It is not a plural thing either. WEBELOS... stands for, "We Be Loyal Scouts"

~Duane "yes, I'm a Scout Master" Phillips.

Reply to
Duane Phillips

Handouts should be replaced with outer programs.

"Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish, and you'll never see him on a weekend again"

Bob Kaplow

No, I don't run such a program - midnight is a bit more than "after school." I do know some cops that run a midnight basketball program. I have a tremendous amount of respect for what they've accomplished. They've actually turned lives around, so that the kids have grown up to be productive instead of making society pay to warehouse them in a jail cell or bury them in a pauper's plot.

So are you just sniping from your ivory tower or do you have a better plan? I'd be happy to pass on your vast knowledge to the officers.

Zooty

Reply to
zoot

My apologies. I thought it was a plural.

My first guess at spelling it...let's just say that we're all glad I didn't use that one. Too many easy jokes. Looked it up, but didn't realize where the name came from or that it was plural.

My best friend wound up being the Scoutmaster (correct term?) for his son's Weblos troop, pretty much by default. He's been going down through the list figuring out what I can teach for them. This will be interesting, since I have no experience with Scouting. I was in the Indian Guides. Don't ask me why - my Dad was a Life Rank in Scouting.

BTW: The American Modelers Association magazine had an issue this year with plans for a 9 in. paper plate model plane. Or was it styrofoam plates? Anyway, I passed out photocopies to all the folks I know in Scouting. It make a great "The scheduled speaker forgot to show up" program that you can keep in the trunk and only costs a couple bucks for 100 planes. It works with everything from the little ones to the high school kids.

The AMA also puts out a small kit. It's a rubber band airplane. It's cheap. The construction is more difficult and educational than the wind-ups we all bought at the store as a kid, but not very difficult. I'm not sure, but I think I've seen it for sale at the local Scouting store.

Zooty

Reply to
zoot

I wish they would. Did you know that the metabolic rate for someone just watching TV is lower than for someone sitting, doing nothing?

(This may not apply to people watching "24." No one I know watches that show without pacing for the entire hour.)

One of the things I do is coach Type II diabetic (and pre Type II) runners. I'm type II myself, and it's my own damn fault. Type II is caused by a variety of factors, including genetics, but lack of exercise and being overweight are very strong factors in causing it. Exercise alone has been shown to dramatically reduce the risk of diabetes in adults.

The scary thing is that they're now seeing Type II in teens and pre-teens. At that age, it's a lifestyle problem, pure and simple. You can do a lot to reverse the effects at any age, but Type II diabetes is currently incurable. The kids are stuck for life. (Pun intended.)

Zooty

PS: If there's a physician in the newsgroup reading this, you're probably thinking I'm full of it. Yes, you CAN get Type IIs to exercise, and if you catch them when the disease is new, running isn't usually contraindicated. I've done 2 marathons, and I'm in training for my third. Yes, I really am a Type II - both FBGs were over 200 when I was Dxed. Yeah, Type II runners are rare, but it's not impossible, no matter what you were taught in med school or have seen in your practice. My HbA1cs are in the lower 4s now.

Reply to
zoot

This is rmr. He most certainly is doing the above.

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

Do a similar plan with model rocketry instead of basketball so the kids learn some science by osmosis. Be glad to help.

Jerry

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

For me it's Law and Order :) Seriously, you can't miss one second without blowing the whole story. Love the show.

Very very true. When I was 15 I was heavily active in 3 different sports; hockey, long distance running and swimming. To successfully compete at all three required some pretty serious diet/training habits. There was this book written by Robert Haas called Eat to Win. I learned so much from that book and credit it to the success I achieved at the time. In particular the running and swimming.

To this day I still spend about 15 hrs at the gym a week. Personally I think I'm slacking even though I no longer play puck.

Scary indeed :(

Fascinating.

Ted Novak TRA#5512

Reply to
the notorious t-e-d

Remember the old story, grasshopper, about teaching a man to fish?

Mark Simpson

I beg to differ, at least up until 9/11. After that, I think that the Republicans are trying to outspend the Democrats and it is truly sad. Democrats have a basic flawed philosophy when it comes to dealing with business. They think that companies are an endless supply of money for them to spend on their pet social programs. But big companies don't sit by idly and let this happen anymore. If the Feds make it difficult for a US company to make a profit in the US, they look elsewhere. It isn't a zero sum game. Big Business HAS choices.

You're right there. Reagan knew that if you cut tax rates, it would stimulate spending and if you accelerated depreciation, businesses could afford to reinvest in infrastructure. Now, healthcare, SS, EPA, OSHA, etc., all reduce a US business' ability to grow by draining capital away from projects that would upgrade equipment.

Me neither. Republicans are now trying to one-up Democrats in the spending department. It's cataclysmic. ;-)

As I said above, up until 9/11, Republicans were different. The only jobs that Democrats helped vreate were government job...oh and 100k cops that I've yet to see any stats on their effectiveness.

I'd rather the country be run by a man born with a silver spoon in his mouth rather than a genetic predisposition towards lying.

Agreed. He's lasted as a Republican "Kennedy" for many years. That's saying a lot about his courage of conviction.

Mark Simpson

Yes, I have a better plan. Make public schools have to compete on an equal basis with private and charter schools. Here in Michigan, a good private school education costs less than 1/2 of what Detroit is paying per student in the city. But, I know that won't happen because teacher unions have a vested interest in maintaining the status quo. Competition on a level playing field means lower wages to them and since they are one of the most powerful Democratic lobbying forces in the country, at all levels of government, we'll never see anything close to competition in the inner cities. Want to educate young minorities? get them the Hell out of inner city public schools. Anything less is just blowing smoke.

Mark Simpson

Pot. Kettle. Black. ;-)

Mark Simpson