On-topic: More BS in the Granola State

Never heard of the American Modelers Assoc. The AMA is the Academy of Model Aeronautics. Just a little nit-picking.

Karl Perry Member: AMA, NAR, AMA (motorcycles), BMWOA, and QUARK. Cincinnati, OH, home of "Tall Stacks 2003"

Reply to
KG8GC

And it was true!

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

One of the ways Arnold is addressing that in CA is to "renegotiate the employment contracts" of state employees. School teachers and administrators are state employees (there's a situation the framers would be rolling over in their graves over).

Except in CA for one term.

Point.

Can you hear me now?

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

Poor people can't read the story and could not care less if you would feed them for a day one day at a time.

Jerry

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

And don't send them to one in California, inner city or not. Our state-required standardized testing program, in which a "good school" is categorically defined as "one whose students get high scores on The Government-Specified Test", has the effect that actual education is given less priority than "teaching to the test". (And now the Federal "no child left behind" program seems to be on the verge of implementing the California Mistake as a national philosophy... the notion that there's more to "quality of education" than "the Test Scores" seems to have been lost in the shuffle.)

-dave w

Reply to
David Weinshenker

But lets not forget that when a big buisnes CEO takes a job away from a hard working American and provides that job over seas that CEO gets a huge raise. Helluva incentive huh?

Yuppers. Still can't over Reagen doing depend's add's though :)

Oh yeah.

I'll go as far as saying after the Reagen era is when things started changing. Very slight change at that but never-the-less a negative change. That's when I made predicitions, er, negative predictions and unfortuneatly, they've come true :(

They all lie Mark. Dub'yah is no exception, but I have to admit, I trust Dub'yah more than Slick Willy. Clinton's lie as we all know was so bold and audcious(right to my face!) and downright insulting. I took it personal. It's going to be real interesting what we find out after this whole Iraq thing gets finished(if?). I starting to wonder...Can I handle the truth anymore? I can't wait till my brothers and sisters come back from Iraq and give me the 'truth'. Sure as hell won't get it from media.

Under no uncertain circumstances will a spoiled, born with a silver-spoon-in-mouth, brat(kohl/clinton and yes, bush) who didn't never have to work to pay for school, put food on the table, etc, understand what the average Joe American(us) have to do to earn a living. I mean really, how can such a individual who has had everything given to them, on a silver platter no less, understand what we(joe american) are doing to earn a living? I want a man(woman :)) that had to bust their ass to get ahead, pay for schooling, and make a living. I think for now on this trend will continue :(

We need more truly self made people to become politions. The American dream to me has always meant to work harder than the rest to achieve one's goals. I seriously doubt our current politians realize this.

Damn straight! Arnold is the perfect example of the American Dream.

On a soo so related depressing note;

Ted Novak TRA#5512

Reply to
the notorious t-e-d

I talk, every week, with soldiers returning from Iraq via Camp Pendleton. Thus far, without exception, they tell me that we're doing the right thing, that the vast majority of Iraqis are thankful that we're there, and that they're proud of what they've accomplished.

David Erbas-White

Reply to
David Erbas-White

That's what I wanted to hear.

Ted Novak TRA#5512

Reply to
the notorious t-e-d

I should add that my discussion with these soldiers is not in any official capacity. My son is involved in Civil Air Patrol, and his meetings are at Camp Pendleton. Prior to troops being sent over, we talked with many soldiers each week, during their deployment, and as they have come back. Some of the people we talk to are parents of kids in CAP, some of them are adult members of CAP, some are just guys and gals we meet on the base and talk to. And, BTW, one of our CAP cadets joined the Marines, and was killed in Iraq, so it HAS hit home very hard, to everyone.

David Erbas-White

Reply to
David Erbas-White

My condolences. I'm very thankful that I haven't experienced a lost yet. As I mentioned before I just can't trust what the media is reporting. The communications I've had are really limited and they can't really give out too much info in which I fully understand for security purposes.

Ted Novak TRA#5512

Reply to
the notorious t-e-d

I would have to agree that despite the noise and hand wringing that is the overall impression by the reasonable media. But there sure is alot of wacky handwringing :)

The country is fully behind our boys and the world is watching that WE ALONE are picking up this mess.

Jerry

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

That IS too close to home.

Jerry

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

"Teaching to the test" can be a problem. But the question becomes; How do you measure the quality and effectiveness of an education other than by 'testing'? Remembering you need to do this in a timely manner over a large number of students.

Dave

Reply to
DaveL

By long term RESULTS and short term peer review.

Jerry

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

The same way it happens in every other industry -- by making those responsible answerable to their superiors. In other words, eliminating tenure.

The last time that there was a possible 'ballot initiative' for 'merit pay' for teachers, the teachers (and their power unions) were adamantly against it, because (gasp) then the principal would be deciding the future of their career! Imagine that, having to satisfy your boss in order to keep your job--what a concept!

BTW, my two great-aunts, my uncle, my father, my mother, and my wife were/are all career teachers, so don't think I don't empathize with the problems that teachers DO have to face.

David Erbas-White

Reply to
David Erbas-White

Ya, that's the ticket. Midnight Experimental Rocketry. We don't need no stinkin LEUP!

Reply to
Alan Jones

Never heard of such a thing :)

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

I have heard the same from both of my military kids, one returned (Miramar) from Iraq and the other returned (Ft. Campbell) Afghanistan and many others right here at home returning. That's good enough for me. They're proud of what they've done and why they went. So am I !

Randy

Reply to
Randy

security purposes.

That is true.... for now.

Randy

Reply to
Randy

That's the way military service should be. God bless.

Bush is doing something right.

Jerry

Reply to
Jerry Irvine