OT-Papers please

http://www.papersplease.org/davis/facts.html
interesting case
shockie B)

shockwaveriderz wrote:

I am sure glad we have the ACLU to help out with clear cut cases like this.
seriously.
I seriously doubt that the American Communist Lawyer's Union cares about anyone's rights....
tai fu wrote:

I've heard the claim before. I've also heard that unions are filled with lazy over-payed relatives attached to organized crime. But in both cases if they're the only ones stepping to the line for everyone else, then I say such claims are rather moot and irrelevent until someone comes up with something better. What are YOU doing when you come across such? Getting Fox Snooze's take on it first, then going back to whatever else you were doing before because it doesn't affect you (yet)? Personally, I hope Big Brother gets a real kick in the pants from this one. Maybe someday we can even ditch the Patriot's Act/Homeland (in)Security and I can feel right about flying my flag again someway other than upside down.
snipped-for-privacy@employees.org says...

Suprised the ACLU got involved, as it seems awfully mundane for them.
--
Tweak

Not mundane at all. This is basically a challenge to fundamental constitutional rights, no matter how trivial the venue. The website comments relate this to the Rosa parks incident, and rightly so. This is MORE important than Rosa Parks.
I find myself humbled to realize the 99.9% probability I would have personally just grumbled and handed over the ID.
I find it disturbing that as widespread as this news story has become, CNN has yet to include a single story covering it on their website. Yet such mundane, trivial crap such as "Prisoners offer dogs a second chance" and "Campus paper's headline causes stir" appear prominently on their news subsection covering the Midwest.
Perhaps CNN now stands for the "Charo News Network", it's just about as deep, meaningful and insightful.

yet to include a single story covering it on their website. Yet such mundane, trivial crap such as "Prisoners offer dogs a second chance" and "Campus paper's headline causes stir" appear prominently on their news subsection covering the Midwest.

Fluff stories to "inform" the public has been part of the nightly (s)nooze since time began. Remember that Big Media is run by Big Money, and it's also defining governmental policy through the politicians they've bought. This story runs against the New Freedom From Terrorism we now "enjoy", because we're supposed to do everything the nice rent-a-cop says as we go through our day lock-stepped with the other Good Citizens. That's because it's all for our own good.
Why do I have this sudden urge to sing the Mr Rogers song?
Chuck

Coochie! Coochie!
Randy www.vernarockets.com

I like CNN because they have fewer commercials than other networks. The comment above would seem to apply to Fox News, where all the real news is relegated to that news ticker at the bottom of the screen.
Alan
Tweak said to Kurt:

Hey! Are you talking to yourself again? ; )
Randy www.vernarockets.com

My newsreader evidently is.
--
Tweak

On Fri, 9 Dec 2005 08:50:46 -0500, Tweak

I'm hearing voices...
<g>
tah
--
Tod A. Hilty
Hilty Information Systems

If you step back in time 66 years, and substitute "Jews" for "terrorists" you have indeed a similar situation. When a governmant wants to shape people to their will, it helps to have a scapegoat enemy to justify their actions.
The attacks of the current administration on those who question their war policies fits the pattern exactly. Funny, I always thought it was the responsibility and duty of citizens in a democracy to question their leaders.
Scott Schuckert wrote:

all the more reason to educate the citizens.
Sieg Heil Comrades! For the STATE is always right, just ask 'em.