Project Starlight ... and why Robert Kaplow should be worried!

50% is never a majority.
I understand the issue behind wire-tapping. The government can not listen to "private" conversations. Fourth Amendment is very clear about that. The current issue wrt wire-tapping has to do with conversations that originate outside US borders. Interestingly, a *person* crossing the US border is subject to search (without requiring a warrant) but some people expect an electronic conversation to be different.
But case law has established that no search exists unless the individual has a reasonable expectation of privacy. For example, the government CAN sift through your garbage looking for stuff, as long as the garbage is an open space (like on the curb). That does NOT constitute a search and no warrant is required.
So with blogs, usenet, etc (email is a possibly exception) there should be no expectation of privacy because any casual observer can read them. If Goggle can catalog your blogs, so can the government.
Email is interesting. How well does your provider secure your privacy? Did you sign a service agreement that says you wave your right to privacy? If so, you have no expectation of privacy from non-government sources so you should have no expectation of privacy from the government.
While government directed collection concerns me, non-government directed collection scares me. Imagine applying for insurance or a loan or a job and the person behind the desk pulls up your entire usenet history. Everything you ever posted.
snipped-for-privacy@juno.com wrote:

And that, my friends, is why I am now known as "Tweak" and use the X no archive option (not that it really does any good anymore). The arrival of those new sites which http and htmlize usenet posts are what convinced me, as they generally do not honor the X no archive, and a quick search of your name in google will reveal all.
--
Tweak

You are so correct Tweak,
I saw in about 98, a peer manager use Deja News to search for posts on a new hire.
He found the prospect was always posting questions on how to fix stuff he purported in the interview to be an expert on.
At that time, I quit using my Christian name on Usenet posts.
Heck, I sure do not want a prospective employer seeing me argue about Model Aircraft parts, LEUPS and lord forbid, Moon Hoaxes !
Cranny Dane (most here know who I am anyway ;)

So I should change my name, eh? Y'all think if I start going by Soug Dams that will be enough?
Doug...er..Soug

In all honesty, it's just to keep the snoops honest ;)
so that would be enough.
Doug Sams wrote:

I like it, and if We abbreviate Your first name then We can call You So Dams.
@prodigy.net says...

Shutup Gave.
--
Tweak

On Tue, 14 Feb 2006 10:48:31 -0500, Tweak

Oh, you can call me Ray, or you can call me Jay, or you can call me Johnny, or you can call me R.J., or you can call me R.J.J., or you can call me R.J.J.jr, but ya doesn't have to call me Johnson..
<g>
tah
--
Tod A. Hilty
Hilty Information Systems

Pig latin's the answer Soug. Ougday Amsay...
Duh.
<g>
Oddtay Illteehay
--
Tod A. Hilty
Hilty Information Systems
Tweak wrote:

--
Ad Astra!

Bill Sullivan
message

Please,
do tell !
Cranny Dane wrote:

The Men's Room test is a test I use whenever I interview for a job. DUring the process I ask to use the Men's room. It is vitally important to use a Men's room that is normally used by the staff, not a "Guest" room.
Just take a look at the condition of the room when you use it. The general condition of the room, the cleanliness, lighting, maintenance, and level of supplies, speaks volumes about a company. It indicates just how much the company values its staff and, just as important, provides a measure of what the staff thinks of the company.
If the Men's room is clean and well-maintained, you are most likely in a decent place to work. If the Men's room is dirty, poorly lit, and poorly maintained, be polite but don't accept an offer unless you are desperate.
I have ignored my Men's Room Test once in my career and profoundly regretted it.
Bill Sullivan
Posted IAW MIL-TFD-41
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com says...

From the perspective of someone who does those searches when requested by management, I know those requests can come up for all sorts of reasons.
A single manager with "motivation" can make life living hell for someone, yet not be reflective of the company as a whole.
--
Tweak

That's one rag I will never click on or read.

Telescope Buyers FAQ
On Fri, 10 Feb 2006 11:15:48 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@juno.com wrote:

There are definitely things to be concerned about...but one should first look at the mentality of he/she who is complaining. One who adheres to true conservative and/or libertarian ideals, should definitely be concerned. However, if one belongs to the (unfortunate) growing group who believes that the federal government should be everyone's "mommy and daddy" (i.e. handling all the parental/family/personal roles such as education, child care, health care, unemployment benefits, home loans, etc); then these people show the ultimate in hypocracy when complaining about these intrusions. After all..."parents" *also* have the right/responsibility to know who their "children" are talking to, who they associate with, what books they read, etc.
--

Greg Heilers
Keep this crap off of RMR! What does this have to do with Rockets?
" snipped-for-privacy@aol.com" wrote:

Obviously enough to get many RMR regulars to respond... (:-)

In other words, nothing at all.