Re: Open letter to Bruce Kelly - HPR lack of quality

Jerry or I sticking up for you when you get booted won't do much good. But you're well on your way to becoming a former member. Keep up the good work.

Bob Kaplow

Nor is it reasonable for the subscribers to pay to bail out a decades mismanagement.

I ask you TRA members out there the following question:

Do you think folks who visit

and fork out $50 to join TRA for 6 months are going to be happy with what HPR magazines they get in the next 6 months? Do you honestly think that they will get 6 issues of HPR as promised? And for many of them, what they get in the mail will be the ONLY membership benefit they ever see.

Bob Kaplow

No,no,no

Jerry

TRA012 (not refunded yet so still a "pending" member. Pending removal :)

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

Profit=revenue-expenses.

He has guaranteed revenue. TRA sends him wheelbarrels of money.

He doesn't print (enough or as big or as good or as original content) magazines so he has LOW expenses.

He has high profits.

He may have deductions like salaries for his kids, paint jobs for trucks, travel to rocket launches, phone bills for confidence games on the BOD members and such.

He is sittin pretty.

And NOBODY goiong after claims. He has no downside risk.

Just Jerry

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

Phil Stein

Reply to
Phil Stein

His downside rick is enough people getting pissed off & not subscribing that he has to dig into his own pockets to cover expenses. I could happen.

Phil

Phil Stein

Reply to
Phil Stein

THe answer is no. There is some hope that if they get involved locally, they'll like it & stay.

Phil

Phil Stein

Reply to
Phil Stein

Please scan and post somewhere!

Bob Kaplow

No it can't...

Bob Kaplow

Why not?

Phil

Phil Stein

Reply to
Phil Stein

If revenues (advance wheelbarrel payments) drop, he just accidentally publishes less issues. Uses less color, smaller size, smaller page count, less original content, sent to fewer people, etc. Easy!

Or . . .

all of the above :)

Jerry

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

Now you're spreading FUD, Bob. They only paid him in advance for five issues, which have been delivered. They do NOT "keep handing him more".

Reply to
RayDunakin

I didn't say "the economy", I said "economics", which means staying within with their means. If a magazine can't produce enough income to afford full-color, it gets cut to part color. If it can't afford full-size, it gets reduced to a smaller size. This is true regardless of why the magazine isn't producing more income.

HPR's problem wasn't overspending, it was under-publishing and the resulting loss of sales and advertising.

Reply to
RayDunakin

That's a crock, Jerry. TRA was paying only for magazines published, as they were delivered.

Reply to
RayDunakin

How can anyone answer that before seeing the issues? It also depends on what the individuals are expecting. I will say that IF the next six issues are like this most recent issue, which had no direct hobby rocketry content, they probably won't be very interested in it. Either way, it would give them something to go on when deciding whether or not to subscribe after those six free issues run out.

Yes. What kind of content though... well, we'll just have to wait and see.

Reply to
RayDunakin

TRA has reconciled all issues owed with money due to HPR for all subscriptions paid for. Now, HPR has that money & TRA is not paying them for each issue. The subscription money is just passing through TRA. With this in mind, I don't see how HPR can survive without subscribers & advertisers.

Phil Stein

Phil Stein

Reply to
Phil Stein

And what was the reason for the underpublishing? Pissed all the money down a rathole and didn't have anything left to print magazines with.

Bob Kaplow

ROTFLMAO **THAT** is a crock, Ray!

Bob Kaplow

Bob K. wrote:

Reply to
RayDunakin

Bob, you can believe whatever paranoid, anti-TRA, Bruce-Kelly-is-the-devil fantasy you want. The fact is, TRA did not pay for any issues of the magazine that were not published.

Reply to
RayDunakin