Rockets as WMD

Would you consider a 15 round rifle a weapon of MASS destruction? Used to be nuclear and biolgical into 10s, 100s of thousands. Now it's a pipebomb.

Joel. phx

Reply to
Joel Corwith

I guess this is how they are going to "Tind The Weapons of Mass Destruction" to justify the war in Iraq - redefine the term until it includes small "conventional" munitions that any army might be expected to have.

-dave w

Reply to
David Weinshenker

Gee-whiz Jim... be afraid... be very afraid...!

You could launch more with a cannon or several_and_many other hundreds of contrivances (and fewer deployment failure modes)... better outlaw them all... but then, the "law" doesn't seem to be considered by a terrorist, does it?

FACT: The rocket *still* is NOT the dangerous element. The terrorist _is_. This is the point.

~Duane Phillips.

Reply to
Duane Phillips

"Duane Phillips" wrote in news:rT_xb.247648$mZ5.1853155@attbi_s54:

Actually,its easier to use a MR,as the standard ejection charge will deploy the bioagent(just like tracking powder),it's ready-made,more reliable than any cannon projectile you could make.(in actual deployment of the bioagent)

I agree on this point.

I'm just pointing out the -possibilities- for use of rockets for terrorism purposes.Some folks seem to think it's not possible for rockets to be used in such a manner.

Reply to
Jim Yanik

But shouldn't we be looking to eliminate the terrorists, rather than the tools...? After all - when it gets right down to it, we'd have to ban trucks, planes, fertilizer, all manner of fuels, guns, knives, clubs, etc. in order to keep *everything* that could be used as a weapon out of terrorists' hands.

Reply to
Len Lekx

Have you seen the current FAA confiscation list? Even though the only terrorist act actually FOLLOWED all of their past rules, they think changing the rules will be a preventative measure. Nope. All it does is annoy the citizens and amuse the terrorists, at great cost of lost time, lower travel rates, near total loss of civil liberties and of course historical appeasement to the terrorists themselves.

They have clearly won.

Jerry

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

So now our surgical strike smart weapons are WMD. The war of redefinition of terms can not be won.

Alan

Reply to
Alan Jones

Last week somebody here in Albuquerque stole seven 50# bags (350#) of pre-mixed ANFO (Ammonium Nitrate and Fuel Oil explosive, for those of you that don't know) from a magazine outside of town. I didn't even know that you could get it pre-mixed. (Its easy enough to make yourself.) Some people here were very worried until it a hiker found it hidden under a pile of brush in the South Valley. Still, it could have been messy, and it seems that it was surprisingly easy to steal, and it could have been delivered by almost any car, van, or truck (also easy to steal.)

Mark E. Hamilton NAR #48641-Sr

Reply to
Mark Hamilton

That makes it easier to find some. :)

-dave w

Reply to
David Weinshenker

David Weinshenker wrote in news:3FC8FC4F.9EF7DD65 @earthlink.net:

And think of the billions of dollars we'll save. Whoever thought this up is a hero!

Reply to
David W.

Everyone knows it's _possible_ to use _anything_ to commit a terrorist act. The fact that it's possible doesn't mean it's practical or probable, especially when there are many far better methods available. By constantly reiterating this crap about "possibilities", you are fueling the ignorance and paranoia that the ATF uses to its advantage against rocket hobbyists -- and ultimately, against all Americans.

Reply to
RayDunakin

THE most commonly misused fallacy of our times... "If you ban it, they won't use it". Absolute hogwash. When you ban something, the only people who lose access to it are the law-abiding public. Criminals and terrorists will still have ready access to any banned items through "underground" or "Black Market" sources, theft, and illegal manufacture or import by other criminals willing to make a quick buck. There is no substance or item in existence that can be completely removed from criminal use by having one government ban it.

Reply to
Scott Aleckson

But it dramatically INCREASES the incentive to transact it.

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

Exactly the point I was trying to get across. Thanks for putting it more clearly than I did. :-)

Reply to
Len Lekx

snipped-for-privacy@NOSPAM.rogers.com (Len Lekx) wrote in news:3fc8bc9a.1363524588@nntp:

I agree,eliminate the bad guys.Eliminate the REASONS for terrorism. Banning things doesn't work,as Prohibition and the drug 'war' demonstrate. First,we ought to control our borders and visitors much better.

Reply to
Jim Yanik

snipped-for-privacy@aol.com (RayDunakin) wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@mb-m25.aol.com:

IMO,I'm just saying things some MR hobbyists don't want to hear or address. I agree that USE of a MR as a terrorist weapon is -unlikely-.

Reply to
Jim Yanik

BTW,I -LIKE-to launch MR,and don't want to see any restrictions on the hobby from this terrorist nonsense. What's needed is a good lobbying effort directed at lawmakers. You aren't going to convince the ATF (F-troop) of anything.

Reply to
Jim Yanik

Don't forget pens, pencils, box cutters, baseball bats, and donkey carts.

Bob Kaplow

I doubt we'll *ever* eliminate the reasons for terrorism. Sooner or later, some nutcase is going to feel that they've been so poorly treated that the only way to make themselves feel better is by destroying something. A cynical thought, it's true, but it seems to have an historical pattern.

So... trust nobody...? ;-)

Reply to
Len Lekx

That's what the 'etcetera' was for... ;-)

Reply to
Len Lekx