Sad example of nanny govt damaging our hobby

Interesting paraphrase, Dave. How 'bout a hypothetical question for you? A farmer and an FAA official are standing in a field watching a mod roc launch. The farmer says; "don't look like then little things is dangerous to me". And the FAA official says; "Well, I disagree pops. The sight of a rocket exhaust plume caused a pilot in training to crash here last week." Question: If you label the motors as model aircraft parts, does the DOT believe you?

steve

Reply to
default

I *believe* he was referring to the regulations that prevent people from launching at the local park or soccer field. Without those, most people are forced to drive some distance to an organized club launch. Kids can't drive, so if they don't have anyone to take them they're SOL...

Eldred

Reply to
EldredP

I cant speak for Dave, but I suspect the answer to be: "Only if you are willing to pay the $40K exemption fee".

Fred W

Reply to
WallaceF

Let's compromise. Charge kids 12 and under $5.00 for a membership, and have a rocket of the month contest (with prizes) just for them. Wiith so many competing alternatives out there for kids, we've got to do something like this to get them, and keep them, involved in rocketry. Larry Lobdell Jr.

Reply to
Larry Lobdell, Jr.

I understand what you're saying, Eldred, and I don't want to get into a slippery slope argument. Suffice it to say that while there are some parks within walking distance for my kids, they can't fly rockets there.

And even though they can fish and play baseball, soccer, cricket, basketball, tennis and lacrosse there, I still need to drive them to their basketball practices and games, and most of their soccer practices and games. For hockey and indoor soccer they must be driven, too. And piano lessons and play rehearsals as well.

So while it'd be nice for the kids to have everything in walking distance, they can't. Parents have to be involved. The parents set the priorities - piano lessons or rocket flying? Soccer practice or play rehearsal? The parents make the decisions by signing the kids up for only the activities they're willing to drive the kids to.

While the rocketry scene will never be perfect, the resources here in the Dallas-Forth Worth Metroplex are pretty good. If the parent makes it a priority to fly, it's not that hard to accomplish.

Even without the parents driving their kids to Windom, the kids can show some initiative. Reaching out is a two way deal, and just as DARS reaches out, kids can reach back. DARS members would gladly give lifts to kids, but they need to raise their hands - a post to DARS-general (@ yahoo) asking for a ride would be a good start.

We can find excuses. Or we can find solutions.

Doug

Reply to
Doug Sams

Since those are local regs, there's very little that the national org can do about it. If the locals don't like their local regs, the locals can work to change them in their area.

Reply to
RayDunakin

The AMA works all over the country to provide assistance from the national organization with local items.

Take a look at

You can see where it is broken down into states, etc. and even if the AMA doesn't get involved, it serves as a clearinghouse for legislative items. They also send email alerts to members, letting them know about potential legislation in their region.

Anyway, some ideas there that might be worth pondering.

Reply to
Tweak

But the model rocket exemption in 101.1 SPECIFICALLY removes the FAA as an AHJ.

#!%@ the fat lady.

Bob Kaplow

persons" and called

area, resuming

We've got an airport manager (municipal, and no, not Fedaayn Daley) pulling the same crap again here in the Chicago area, and some very helpful FAA folks telling them they dont' have the authority to do so. And a third agency stuck in the middle.

Bob Kaplow

As does AOPA, USPA, ....

Reply to
The Observer

Sure isn't helping them any now that they've been deemed politically incorrect. They're getting kicked out of every public place in the state.

Reply to
RayDunakin

Is this over them not letting the gay kids join or something?

-dave w

Reply to
David Weinshenker

Is that a reference to an actual incident? Or are you just spreading FUD?

If the _sight_ of a rocket is going to "cause" someone to crash an airplane, it sounds like that person may not have the temperament to be a flight student.

-dave w

Reply to
David Weinshenker

Careful. You are treading perilously close to common sense, and we all know that is specifically disallowed in federal agencies.

Reply to
Tweak

They're getting kicked out of every public place in the state.

It probubly doesn't help that they're no longer the world's largest paramilitary organization any more, the S.C.A. bumped them from that slot some years back. That, and since they didn't deploy with National Guard units, they obviously aren't patriots and deserve our dirision (though you'd think they'd get a Presidente Pardon for that).

Reply to
Zathras of the Great Machine

Dave W. replied:

Yep, that and the atheists.

Reply to
RayDunakin

What about atheists?

Eldred

Reply to
EldredP

The Boy Scouts' oath includes something about God, so the atheists are whining about "discrimination".

Reply to
RayDunakin

*sigh* Why not just remain silent during that part of the oath? That's what I used to do in Catholic school. I simply wouldn't say the prayer.

Eldred

Reply to
EldredP

Yeah. Or if it really bothers them, just don't join. They could even start a purely secular youth organization. Apparently "tolerance" means forcing everyone you disagree with to change, and clubbing them with the government if they refuse.

Reply to
RayDunakin