Side Trip at NARAM

For anyone heading to NARAM, looks like there is a new Flight Museum that just opened nearby. Says they even have an SR-71 on display.

-Boomer

Reply to
Boomer

My wife still hasn't recovered from hitting THREE aircraft museums last time we had NARAM near DC.

Air & Space Garber (long tour) Wright Patterson

Bob Kaplow

Last I looked, Wright-Patterson was in Dayton.

That's close to DC ??

By the way, is Garber closed now that the Udvar-Hazy center is opening?

Steve Decker square-jawed chief engineer of the patternmaking division

Reply to
Steve Decker

IIRC Garber is really just a facility for storage and some restoration work. It was never open to the public on a regular basis. Groups could arrange tours with a prior setup.

Reply to
Bruce Canino

For someone driving from Illinois? Yes.

Joel. phx (ex-Napervillion)

Reply to
Joel Corwith

Well, if you drove to DC from Chicago, Dayton is on the way home...

And if you're in the Dayton area, some of the best ice cream and dairy stuff on the planet can be found at Young's Jersey Dairy in Yellow Springs, Ohio:

We've stopped there on several trips to or from NARAM...

I hope not. I can't imagine that they have room for all that stuff at the new site. And dont' forget the workshop and backlog of projects.

Bob Kaplow

When I went on a Garber tour a few years ago, the tour guide said that everything was moving: all the artifacts, and all the shops. The facility web page says they've stopped doing tours:

If they really do put everything on display, the new center must be huge! I'm sure that I can't do the tour in one day.

Glen Overby

Reply to
Glen Overby

That was not my experience. While tours have ended now, I went on a regularly scheduled weekend tour a few years ago. The tour guides were all volunteers, and as I recall they split the crowd into two different groups. It took 3 1/2 hours, and we saw less than half of the artifacts in storage. The tour wound its way through (climate controled) warehouses with concrete floors. Everything was crammed in so closely that it was difficult to get pictures of any one thing, and I didn't have a wide-angle lens.

Glen Overby

Reply to
Glen Overby

Garber is closed to the public.

The Smithsonian is trying to raise the $$ to build a restoration wing at Dulles to take the place of Garber.

Reply to
Jonathan Rains

Also, for those going to NARCON, the Oshkosh air muesum isn't that much further.

Tater Schuld