Steve Irwin

snipped-for-privacy@ix.netcom.com says...

Not so fast there, Phil. He does mention "Wild Kingdom", and in one episode Marlin used rocket launched nets to capture flocks of some wild bird. So there is tie-in, albeit a tenuous one. At best.
;-)
--
Tweak

On Wed, 20 Sep 2006 09:13:35 -0400, Tweak

Thanks now I know.
Phil
Tweak wrote:

Are you sure you're not thinking of Red Buttons catching monkeys with a rocket powered net in the movie Hatari?
MP
says...

Maybe, but does it really matter?
--
Tweak

Tweak wrote:

Probably not, I just didn't remember it from Wild Kingdom. In any event, Marlin would have been far back while poor Jim had to ride the rocket over the tree...
Tweak wrote:

It does to the monkeys.
Mario Perdue wrote:

You're both right.
Dave Grayvis wrote:

Really? Damn, I'm sorry I missed that episode...
MP
Phil,
No relationship to rockets whatsoever. But because this newsgroup is so BORING, and Irwin was mention here before ... why not? Do you have ANYTHING interesting to post that we can learn from or have dialog with?
Face it, rec.models.rockets is a dinosaur ready for extinction. The years of Jerry Irvine, politics, personal attacks, lack of moden features that are available with web based discussion groups, has relegated this and tens of thousand of other USENET forums into obsolescence.
So if I come here with a non-rocket posting, yet interesting, don't be so quick to berate it as most of the world has moved on into the 21st century and is posting rocket related postings SOMEWHERE ELSE :)
These and many others are full or germane rocketry related posts ... thousands of them.
Lunar
Philip Stein wrote:

On 20 Sep 2006 07:47:23 -0700, " snipped-for-privacy@juno.com"

I'll see if I can think of something sometime today.
Phil
snipped-for-privacy@juno.com wrote:

There are posts under the last one? The only thing you'll find there is ad hominem attacks and 'extremely' bad journalism.
--
Rocketry Planet hobby rocketry news, feature articles, news archive,
discussion forums, live chat, free auctions, launch calendar and the
Philip Stein wrote:

How about "extremely bad?"
--
Rocketry Planet hobby rocketry news, feature articles, news archive,
discussion forums, live chat, free auctions, launch calendar and the
On Thu, 21 Sep 2006 00:30:33 -0400, "Darrell D. Mobley"

ER looked a lot better before Rockets came out. Can we compromise and just call it lame but ontime? Did Er stop bragging about being ontime when HPR ceased to exist?
I really like how Rockets uses what is white space in ER to deliver content. I also like how they insert smaller pictures into big areas of blue sky.
Phil
Philip Stein wrote:

I'll settle for "extremely lame".

Yeah, but not doing that means you don't have to hunt for content to put there. It's a form of "autopilot". Or doing the least amount to get by. Hey, I saw a rocketry website that was run that way...
--
Rocketry Planet hobby rocketry news, feature articles, news archive,
discussion forums, live chat, free auctions, launch calendar and the

On 19 Sep 2006 18:40:41 -0700, " snipped-for-privacy@juno.com"

Well, we still have BBC's "the dinosaurs hunter". OK, Nigel is a poser time traveling to study and collect CGI dinosaurs, but his character seems to be based on Steve Irwin.
Alan
I seem to remember, when the shock of Steve Irwin's death was still fresh, someone on TRF commented something to the effect that "he was a jerk and got what he deserved".
Now, maybe the passing of time will give us the opportunity to view Steve Irwin's approach in a more unbiased manner. And maybe, his style was a bit over-the-edge, and even reckless. But he did succeed in bringing a lot of people - including my kids - a lot closer to the wildlife that he indisputedly strived to protect and educate others about. I never considered myself a fan of his, but the effect of his sudden and un- expected passing on my kids was surprising - I never knew my kids had learned so much about the world's wildlife from his shows, until his death made it a topic of discussion around the dinner table.
But the bottom line is this:
Anybody who opportunistically slams a person upon their death, for any reason whatsoever, is a complete, vile, ASS, and should be severely beaten about the face and neck until unconscious.
Malcontent wrote:

No, no, no. He got promoted to a moderator... ;-)
--
Rocketry Planet hobby rocketry news, feature articles, news archive,
discussion forums, live chat, free auctions, launch calendar and the
On Thu, 21 Sep 2006 00:46:27 -0400, "Darrell D. Mobley"

Jerry is a moderator? FOr which parts of it?
Phil