temporary flight restriction

Well, if you suspended operations while the runway was occupied then aircraft DIDN'T continue to use the runway during the launch as the launch was halted. How long did it take you to clear the runway for aircraft operations? How long did the aircraft use the runway?

Clarification is needed. Previously you said the launch "was held on the end of the main runway". Which is it? Was it on the runway or not?

But are entitled to use all of it.

That's fine, but you can't hold a launch on an active runway. The runway is either closed or all those that are participating in the launch must scramble to clear the runway of all people and equipment in the event an aircraft wishes to use it. What was the plan if an aircraft decided to spend a few hours doing touch and goes?

Reply to
Steven P. McNicoll

Hey, this could be really useful. Our waivers and NOTAMs seem to ATTRACT aircraft we're trying to keep away. a TFR would force them to stay out of the area.

I wonder if we could get one for our site 8 miles from O'Hare field :-)

Bob Kaplow

The aircraft used the runway as long as they wanted to. They have priority. I have not been at a launch (or heard of when) when the rocket pads had to be cleared. The "away" pads for M flights go at the very end of the runway. (it is actually beyond the "nice" part of the runway and is very rough asphalt). That allows over 4000 feet of paved runway and another 1000 feet of grass. I guess technically this is not part of the "active" runway since it is not maintained. It is more accurately part of the ramp. Any aircraft who intended to land and wanted to use all of the paved area would be able to. If they follow the normal approach pattern there is plenty of time to see them and pause the rocket activity.

The waiver holder has a cell phone and can be reached by the local control center. In addition at every launch I've been to there is at least one person with an aviation radio (there are several pilots in the groups using the field).

Reply to
Alex Mericas

Never more than 2 minutes.

These were either air shows or fairs so the events were "event like".

The lookiloo problem is more one observed at remote sites, not airports.

Keep in mind any aircraft you are in contact with (ie identified lookiloos or spotter aircraft) is considered "part of the operation".

Jerry

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

ummmm, i call the ATC to activate our waiver, how would they not be advised about it?

re-read the requirements for a high power launch. it is a requirement for notification for model rockets exceeding 1 pound. when I notify our local area, a NOTAM gets issued.

Reply to
tater schuld

because I have the same right to use the airspace as the pilots do. the administration is there to oversee coordination of any and all such events that cover their jurisdiction.

Reply to
tater schuld

I guess I need to learn more about this. But it is too late to save our HPR activities.

Reply to
Greg Cisko

I just returned from a nar launch on a grass airport that had many numbers of flights per day.

Hold for aircraft, then launch.

Reply to
AlMax

What happened to lose your HPR activities Greg ?

Reply to
AlMax

Which means aircraft did not continue to use the runway during the launch.

Reply to
Steven P. McNicoll

I bet that the waiver was not cancelled, then re-opened, every time an aircraft flew by though.

Reply to
tater schuld

So what?

Reply to
Steven P. McNicoll

Bingo! I was shocked as h3!! the first time someone at the FAA told me that, after rerouting traffic in and out of O'Hare around us for a weekend!

Bob Kaplow

It's NEVER too late...

Bob Kaplow

Actually precedent is a dangerous thing. It MAY be too late.

Especially since the current trend INSIDE the industry is increased restrictions and decreased participation.

Jerry

"People want change, but they don't want it once they get it. :("

- Jeff Vincent

"Jerry, you claim Tripoli is needlessly endangering HP Rocketry in their actions at launches, then you push doing launches close to airports??? Get a grip!!"

- Jack Goff

"I have tried to really make motor testing a professional operation and it is very obvious to me now as to why Tripoli was having problems 'gaining credibility' with practically everyone in the outside world, because they *really* DON'T have it with some of the people that really matter. And this reputation is well deserved. To be perfectly frank - Tripoli is a sick organization. These bylaw and Articles of Incorporation issues are merely the tip of the iceberg. Symptoms, not the sickness, if you will. Let's hope I am wrong with my assessment. But, as I said, I really feel we may see some concerted efforts to further discredit me, both inside the Board and to the membership in general."

- John Cato

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

so in my opinion launch operations were not suspended, as you had defined earlier in this thread.

Reply to
tater schuld

Hey bob, aint it so cool how ATC tells 747s they HAVE to move so we can launch our 1 pound rockets?

I still use that example to impress the girls

Reply to
tater schuld

Each time you "hold for aircraft", launch operations have been terminated. Remember the waiver holder is the "aircraft operator".

Jerry

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

So if someone was attending that event, they shouldn't say, "I was at the launch all day"? Maybe they should say, "I was at the launch for about 10 minutes, then I wasn't, then I was at the launch again for 6 minutes, then I wasn't, then I was at the launch again for 14 minutes, then I wasn't... etc"? ;)

I think it's pretty obvious that when someone says that aircraft were using the field during the launch, they mean that the launch lasted X number of hours and during that time they had to hold for aircraft.

Reply to
raydunakin

Frankly this sounds like the A-hole version of what you should do. And blah blah blah..... Wow.

Reply to
Greg Cisko