temporary flight restriction

Well, if you suspended operations while the runway was occupied then aircraft DIDN'T continue to use the runway during the launch as the launch was halted. How long did it take you to clear the runway for aircraft operations? How long did the aircraft use the runway?

Clarification is needed. Previously you said the launch "was held on the end of the main runway". Which is it? Was it on the runway or not?

But are entitled to use all of it.

That's fine, but you can't hold a launch on an active runway. The runway is either closed or all those that are participating in the launch must scramble to clear the runway of all people and equipment in the event an aircraft wishes to use it. What was the plan if an aircraft decided to spend a few hours doing touch and goes?
You're making this into a bigger deal than it is. The fact is that the airport is used on a regular basis for NAR and TRA launches with the full support of the city and coordination with the FAA. I have not personally talked with either so I don't know the specifics, but I have flown at the field many times. I also suspect I'm not using correct FAA terms in calling the part of the airport we used "active".
Steven P. McNicoll wrote:

The aircraft used the runway as long as they wanted to. They have priority. I have not been at a launch (or heard of when) when the rocket pads had to be cleared. The "away" pads for M flights go at the very end of the runway. (it is actually beyond the "nice" part of the runway and is very rough asphalt). That allows over 4000 feet of paved runway and another 1000 feet of grass. I guess technically this is not part of the "active" runway since it is not maintained. It is more accurately part of the ramp. Any aircraft who intended to land and wanted to use all of the paved area would be able to. If they follow the normal approach pattern there is plenty of time to see them and pause the rocket activity.
The waiver holder has a cell phone and can be reached by the local control center. In addition at every launch I've been to there is at least one person with an aviation radio (there are several pilots in the groups using the field).
news:JbQye.16974> Surely you're not going to tell me aircraft continued to use the runway

I just returned from a nar launch on a grass airport that had many numbers of flights per day.
Hold for aircraft, then launch.
wrote in message

Which means aircraft did not continue to use the runway during the launch.
wrote in message

I bet that the waiver was not cancelled, then re-opened, every time an aircraft flew by though.
--
Tater
President of MARS Club (NAR #660)

So what?

so in my opinion launch operations were not suspended, as you had defined earlier in this thread.
--
Tater
President of MARS Club (NAR #660)

Each time you "hold for aircraft", launch operations have been terminated. Remember the waiver holder is the "aircraft operator".
Jerry
Jerry Irvine wrote:

So if someone was attending that event, they shouldn't say, "I was at the launch all day"? Maybe they should say, "I was at the launch for about 10 minutes, then I wasn't, then I was at the launch again for 6 minutes, then I wasn't, then I was at the launch again for 14 minutes, then I wasn't... etc"? ;)
I think it's pretty obvious that when someone says that aircraft were using the field during the launch, they mean that the launch lasted X number of hours and during that time they had to hold for aircraft.

Frankly this sounds like the A-hole version of what you should do. And blah blah blah..... Wow.
--

snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com

< snipped-for-privacy@aol.com> wrote in message
Well if that was your point, no need to reply and re-editorialize...
--

snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com

< snipped-for-privacy@aol.com> wrote in message

The launch lasted "all day".
The "flight operations" were discreet windows. However since nobody requires a "log or record" of flight operations, recording the specifics are unnecessary.
However there is a specific space on the waiver form for those flight operation windows should they happen to be defined in advance as is the case for many aircraft flight tests.
Jerry

False.
VFR

Really? Do you know what provisions were made for clearing the runway in the event an airplane wished to use it?

What does that have to do with it?

The TOWER was in real time contact with the pilots and the rocket RSO by radio.
Also rules of rocket flight preceeded the event. "Watch for aircraft".
Jerry

Hearne Municipal Airport does not have a control tower. It's an uncontrolled airport in uncontrolled aircpace, the floor of controlled airspace is 1200 feet above ground level. The Common Traffic Advisory Frequency is 122.9 but aircraft are not required to use it or even to have radios. The RSO wouldn't necessarily know of aircraft operations until he could hear or see the aircraft.

Good idea. How long would it take to clear the runway? What was the plan if an airplane decided to spend an hour or two doing touch and goes?

Never more than 2 minutes.

These were either air shows or fairs so the events were "event like".
The lookiloo problem is more one observed at remote sites, not airports.
Keep in mind any aircraft you are in contact with (ie identified lookiloos or spotter aircraft) is considered "part of the operation".
Jerry

I am assuming probably something that might be a considerable nusiance, such as guided model rockets that might mistake the heat signature of an ultralight to coincide with the sun.
or possibly is we need a very specific launch window for an experiment and having a general aviation plane circling the area trying to figgure out what the NOTAM is all about fouling things up.
--
Tater
President of MARS Club (NAR #660)

You're talking about something that's a potential hazard to aerial navigation. Why would the FAA approve that?

because I have the same right to use the airspace as the pilots do. the administration is there to oversee coordination of any and all such events that cover their jurisdiction.