TRA vs NAR Junior Certifications

At the end of the day, that's what matters. We have one junior who wants to do both the NAR & TRA certs at our next launch.

-Kevin

Reply to
Kevin Trojanowski

What rule is this?

Bob Kaplow

A "kid" won a reloadable motor case?

Isn't it against BOTH orgs rules for a "kid" to have the parts and pieces to any "INTENDED" "rocket motor"? ooooo dangerous rocket motor.

Handled by 14 year olds in CA for over a decade.

Jerry

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

No offence to you or your kid.

Supply creates its own demand. There will be early adopters, mid-adopters, late-adopters. They see no alternative to go/nogo.

There is inherent trust the leadership "knows what it is doing".

Whether or not that is actually the case.

Jerry

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

unattributed:

Because they are still at war with each other with a thin peace treaty.

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

Maybe you missed the facts.

"It gives" nothing they do not already have.

In fact they "restrict" what a member can do to what "Tripoli gives".

I am curious. Do you comprehend this?

This is a separate issue from if it is a good program or not, which plenty of other people have criticized on the merits far better than I.

Jerry

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

Aluminum is not regulated, even by the BATFE.

Bob Kaplow

Have you seen the explosives list?

Besides we are talking NAR/TRA here. Far more restrctive than ATF.

Jerry

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

Thanks for the clarifications; since they both had "junior cert" or something to that effect in the title, I assumed they were more similar than they are, even after reading descriptions of both.

Like I said, I think at the end of the day both are great, and would have loved to participate in either if they had been around before I turned 18.

David Tietz NAR 65139 TRA 5150 L2

Reply to
David Tietz

Yup, Model Aircraft parts ;-)

Reply to
Alex Mericas

You ARE an expert!

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

^^^^ that should be "more"

Reply to
Kevin Trojanowski

Nothing stops an adult member from allowing a younger participant to 'help' with the preparation of a larger rocket that is "officially" launched by the older one...

It's like at an organized California HPR launch... under the regs, the motors are being "used by" the host pyro operator licensee: the rest of us are just "helping" him operate those motors in rockets we provide for the purpose.

-dave w

Reply to
David Weinshenker

I think one of the "new" rules specifically does. NAR IIRC.

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

NAR's rules sure sound to me like they don't allow that.

-Kevin

Reply to
Kevin Trojanowski

contained within the NAR Jr. HPP program. The intent of the program was to structure what was already occuring at launch sites. Just because one wasn't aware of existing regulations, it isn't reasonable to call them "new" rule or "added" restrictions.

"approve" anyone under the age of 18. Hence the term participation program.

Next you need to wade through the CSPC requirements:

which do have the force of law in the US.

If there is a "reasonable" interpretation of these laws and regulations that would permit relaxation of the requirements, I'd be glad to hear about it. With all the other legal battles going on, we were not interested in starting a fight with another regulating body.

As far as a parent letting their minor child assemble a reloadable motor, I'll leave that to their good judgement. Beacuse the adult supervising the HPP flight isn't required to be the young fliers parent, we couldn't transfer the authorization authority to them.

John Lyngdal NAR Trustee

Reply to
Johnly

A parent giving permission to a hypothetical minor to go to an HPR launch without them, obviously feels the kid is either going to "watch" HPR where this issue is not relevent, or going to "participate in HPR". That should be made clear to the "adult".

Anybody that knows anything about HPR knows it includes motor assembly, handling of BP and dual deployment electronics and pyro.

CPSC is designed to say what age thresholds are for unsupervised contact with consumer goods and supervised purchase and sometimes contact with consumer goods.

Note CONSUMER GOODS.

The moment an ATF permit is required it is CLEARLY no longer a CONSUMER good.

That would be a smart thing for a NAR BOD Trustee to remember.

Jerry

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

It is clear that the NAR needs to persue changing laws and rules with the NFPA and CPSP to have a more meaningful Jr. Cert/partipation program. You are stretching things as much as you can already.

On another matter, what is the NAR policy on water rockets? It seems that home made uncertified water rockets using more that 250 grams of water can only be flown at TRA EX launches, or similar amateur launches with FAA waiver.

Alan

Reply to
Alan Jones

Have you considered allowing it with written parental permission, provided to an appropriate level of responsibility within the club?

For example, if I hand a note to the RSO, prior to the launch, allowing my son to fly with my friend George, I would think that would apply.

-Kevin

Reply to
Kevin Trojanowski

Common sense and simplicity are BANNED by TRA/NAR.

Reply to
Jerry Irvine