UKRA amendment to certification flight rules.

Damian Burrin (work) wrote:

I have also been working on a HPR heli design - the concept appeals to my slightly anarchistic side /Tim

Hopefully in a saucer!
Also plenty of CERTIFIED users cannot successfully deploy a chute. I thought the point of certifying (what do I know? I was only there when it was invented and personally certified the very first TRA members) is you can get a motor and airframe COMBINATION to work at all in light of motor handling and aerodynamic force issues.
In the past (what do I know? I was only there when it was invented and personally certified the very first TRA members), ANY recovery system, whatever it might be, simply had to function as designed.
DECIDING what to fly is part of the certification practice!
Jerry

That's the whole point.... to force new innovation, and speed up the development of anti-gravity research. Plus, it makes the job of being a spectator a whole lot more fun when you have to dodge all the failures.
Vince wrote:

perhaps we need to work on Beagle-II style bounce-down technology (TM). That would be fun to watch
Or possibly even PoGo stick recovery
You know what was meant, but it can be fun dreaming

As I recall, Beagle-II used impactor technology :-(
However it was designed to use a parachute to slow down then deploy air bags to bounce on. MER also used retro rockets to stop or nearly stop before bouncing; I don't know if Beagle-II had retro rockets.
Glen Overby

Ah, now that would be a cool project, much like the hyper velocity re-entry tests. boost it up, flip it over and light up a large decent motor.... Certainly show engineering know how if you got it back in one piece :-)
I quite like the idea if the Mars lander bouncing ball design as well.....
Stephen.

It's been a long night. That's my excuse anyway!

Point!!

This is truly good news. In my time on council i brought to the meetings my concerns over the use of alternative recovery methods such as saucers that do not deploy and separate method of recovery as not fully covering the spirit of the certification wich is after all to demonstrate some level of competance.
This brings us inline with tripoli who have not aloud drag recovery as the primary method of recovery for cert flights for some time now.
Damian B
--
Damian Burrin
UKRA 1159 Level 2 RSO
Damian Burrin wrote:

There is no such rule in TRA. However, some certification officials have taken it upon themselves to enforce the rule, even though it is not yet on the books..
Fred

That's allowed in Tripoli?
Making up the rules as you go along?
:)

You say that like it is a good thing.
What about a large boost glider R/C type?
"The Hungarian Team." <www.merlini.com> wrote in message

what about streamers?
shockie B)
"The Hungarian Team." <www.merlini.com> wrote in message

On Mon, 19 Sep 2005 20:29:58 GMT, "shockwaveriderz"

I'd like to see the streamer you use on the L2 & L3 projects. 8-)
Phil Stein wrote:

Ha, but streamers must be deployed, so streamers will not be on the list..

No personally and i can't and don't speak for UKRA Council. I think that is exactly the point.
Recovery methods should be deployed in cert flights.
Whether that be, chutes. streamers, wings of a boost glider, bladers for a helicopter or some form of retro- rocket antigraviti system ahouldn't matter. It's the deployment.
Cert filghts should not be done using tumble recovery in my opinion.
Though i have been known to use fragmentation recovery but never on purpose ;-)
Damian
--
Damian Burrin
UKRA 1159 Level 2 RSO

1" x 6" mylar.
Jerry

Yeah a 1" x 6" mylar streamer should make a nice soft landing on a hundred pounder. 8-) Thanks for the tech post Jerry.

That's the drogue :)