UKRA amendment to certification flight rules.

________________________
Certification flights:
With immediate effect the United Kingdom Rocketry Association are amending
the rules relating to certification flights.
The amendment is as follows: _________________________________________ "A Certification flight will only be considered if the certifying vehicle employs a parachute as the primary means of recovery." _________________________________________
As a result, certifying flights that use aerodynamic drag as the prime recovery method will not be permitted in the future. In that: A main parachute must be employed to safely recover a certifying flyers airframe to earth.
UKRA should make it clear that this does not impact flyers wishing to safely fly airframes using drag recovery after they have successfully certified.
UKRA will honour any certification flights that have taken place, prior to today's amendment, from flyers that have gained their certification using aerodynamic drag as their main means of recovery.
UKRA Safety and Technical Committee are of the view that flyers should demonstrate a degree of competence with conventional recovery methods in order to gain access to insurance cover at higher power levels. We feel that this is in the best interests of the UK rocketry community as a whole.
Kind Regards
Damian Hall, on behalf of UKRA Safety and Technical Committee. 19 September 2005
Apologies to all.
I neglected to change my identity prior to sending the last post. How embarrassing!
;)
Regards
Damian
Because the name is changed the results remain the same?
"Damian Hall" <UKRA S&T> wrote in message

On Mon, 19 Sep 2005 19:08:51 +0100, "The Hungarian Team." <www.merlini.com> wrote:>As a result, certifying flights that use aerodynamic drag as the prime

I'm curious to know what sorts of parachutes you use that don't rely on aerodynamic drag....
- Rick "Vacuum-capable chutes?" Dickinson
--
Rick Dickinson - snipped-for-privacy@notesguy.com
National Association of Rocketry (NAR) # 73975 Level 2

The concern i think is mainly to do with the use of saucers that don't deploy any form of recovery being used for cert flights as they don't really demonstrate any competance.
A flyer could cert L1 & L2 with saucers and never had to deploy a chute at any point and then be able to fly a big M motor.
I know Tripoli don't allow saucer only recovery method for certs, i remember getting an email from tripoli a while back when i questioned it in comaprison to our cert system.
Personally i would like to see dual deployment being madatory at level 2 or at least level 3.
Damian
--
Damian Burrin
UKRA 1159 Level 2 RSO
Damian Burrin wrote:

Who's concerned? BTW, designing a form of rocket that uses a recovery system other than a parachute, that safely recovers a rocket, requires and demonstrates extraordinary competence...

Who in TRA sent you that email??
Fred
On Mon, 19 Sep 2005 18:52:36 -0400, "W. E. Fred Wallace"

Last year's loser - Art Applewhite. 8-)

Buying a saucer kit of the shelf and using it to cert with shows only that you can build a kit, not that you have any understanding of any method of recovery espicailly if it relies on its own drag and dosn't deploy any form of recovery.
-> Who in TRA sent you that email??
I emailed tripoli back inFeb directly and the response came from William Davidson.
Damian Burrin UKRA 1159 Level 2 RSO EARS 1115 http://www.ukrocketry.com http://www.larf-rocketry.co.uk
LARF - Putting the amateur back in rocketry!!

An "HPR" kit.

Sorry?? Don't understand?
Did i make a typo? have we moved on to Anglo/American grammar now?
Damian
--
Damian Burrin
UKRA 1159 Level 2 RSO

Damian Burrin wrote:

No disrespect, but bull$hit. I know Bill and I find it hard to believe he would make such a definitive statement. I'll call him within the next few days and get back to you.
Fred Wallace TRA TAP

Why would i lie, i've nothing to gain. Assuming the email address on your post is real i've forwarded acopy of the mail i got. If not it'll bounce. Contact off list if you want and i'll forward you a copy directly.
Damian
--
Damian Burrin
UKRA 1159 Level 2 RSO
Damian Burrin wrote:

To hot to bother wrote:

To hot to bother wrote:

Yep. Eliminate the juvenile responses of a few, and they would indeed be unecessary.
Unfortunately, those whose behavior requires flame-free threads also cannot be bothered to honor them.
...and they wonder why they get kicked off of forums?
-Kevin

We were discussing saucers and and certification. Do you have an opinion or only wish to flame?

Oh? I flamed someone for their opinion in the other thread. Could you find the post for me?

Would it be for flaming? http://groups.google.com/groups?q=Trojanowski+irvine+group:rec.models.rockets&start=0&scoring=d &

That is not what has been said. UKRA's announcement was that parachutes are the method of recovery to be used.
My personal issue is not with kits, kits are fine and dandy it's kits like saucers for example that don't have any method of reecovery other that tumble that i think shouldn't be used.
I have seen some excellent kits and unusual methods of recovery being used over the years, I'm working on a HPR rocket with helicopter recovery myself and have no issue with these being used to cert with. The key thing i personally think is that the recovery method should be deployed. (in my opinion)
Damian