Vacuum bagging your own fin cans - new Blastzone Pics

I've been vacuum bagging my own composite fin cans for a while now, and I finally got around to documenting the process. Visit the url below for pics and descriptions.

Also included is how to speed set your fins! Go from raw tube to cured epoxy fillets in 30 minutes or less! Nothing magic, just expedient rocket building.

AND, my version of the poor mans curing oven. Well, no curing oven, but a method to heat your layup to 180 F with no cure box.

Greg Deputy

SWEET!

Greg, I imagine you REEEEEEAALLY need to get out ALL the creases in the bag when you pull a vacuum, right?

-Gene "owns-multiple-VB-accoutrements-but-make-excuses-constantly-about-why-he-doe sn't-use-them" Costanza

Reply to
Gene

Warning - The oven cure method can be extremely dangerous to your martial status. My wife still reminds me of my sin and that transgression was 4 years ago. Its much safer to take a card board box, stick you fin can in it, then put a hole in the side for a hair dryer. I went a step further and rigged up a probe type line voltage thermostat to control the hair dryer. I do it in the shop or outside away from the main house areas. It's a wife safe method. Gary Deaver

Reply to
Deaver

Its pretty easy to get it all flat when using the vacuum cleaner to suck it down first. However, wrinkles in the layup is not something i've had problems with when bagging fin cans. When I try and bag small diameter composite tubes, however, I cant seem to get one of those to work without wrinkles to save my life!

"owns-multiple-VB-accoutrements-but-make-excuses-constantly-about-why-he-doe

Reply to
Greg Deputy

All depends on the marital unit, I guess. :) I do all of the cooking anyways, so the kitchen is my domain. Now, if I could just get my wife to want to go to a launch every now and then...

Reply to
Greg Deputy

A just as dangerous cure method is the dishwasher dry cycle. My son faced the wrath of mom for weeks on that one. As to wife attending a launch. This year my son and I have Planned the family vacation in the LDRS area with a little

2 day detour to it mixed in. So far it's working. Gary Deaver
Reply to
Deaver

I haven't tried this yet -

Someone on a fiberglass list told me to try cutting the peel ply into narrow strips & winding them spirally around the tube. Then do the rest as normal. Next time I do some tubes, I'm going to try it.

Reply to
Phil Stein

I can verify this. Many years ago I sealed some fins with finishing epoxy that wouldn't cure in the cold basement. I put them in the oven and just used the light for warmth for a couple days. Until my wife turned the thing on HIGH to pre-heat it for cooking something. I still have three BLACK charred warped fins to remind me...

Bob Kaplow

You could always plan the whole vacation around the launch and tell her she has the liberty to go where ever she wants. Just dont bug you. ;-)

Reply to
Robert DeHate