vote on permanent certifications

No

Reply to
Christopher Deem

I would like to see a way, that if I step out of the hobby for a few years, I don't have to pay dues so that I can get my cert back when I come back. That's not the same question as asked, as I don't want/need a separate "cert card" so I can fly outside the nationals...

When you rejoin NAR/TRA, should you get your cert level back?

YES!

Reply to
AZ Woody

AZ: Now I do agree with you on this.... You should not have to re-cert unless you have been gone so long and the hobby has changed so much or the certs have changed so much that you would then need to recert.... but as you said this is a different issue than free certs for life....

perhaps a compromise here is in order..... if you renew within say 3-5 years then you get your cert back?

Perhaps you should just have to pass a written test ONLY to prove current competence of the current NFPA 1127 regs ? as thats basically what you are tested on anyway?

shockie B)

Reply to
shockwaveriderz

Some commentary is necessary. A while back there was a call for lurkers, that request didn't bring me out, however this thread does.

My Vote Is NO!!!

I was flying in 1974, thanks to G. Harry and NAR. There is a multitude of anti-rocketry historical data that you have failed to consider in your "Permanent Certification Thesis".

JP

Reply to
John Pascale

yes

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

SO how would you like to vote? There's Yes or No. For you feminine guys they could add blah blah blah. And I promise to try to act like I care about what you're saying.

Reply to
Phil Stein

Read much?

Reply to
Phil Stein

It might be some trouble (or it might not, especially Level 1) but it does not cost anything extra to re-cert. You still have to re-join to fly at a NAR launch. So what's the big deal?

Reply to
David

No

Reply to
Robert DeHate

Ferrell, I hope you are willing to listen to the results of your vote. By my count the vote so far is 5 yes, 21 no and three who got confused with your instructions to only vote yes or no. Don NAR #72049

Reply to
Don Hooker

and how well one is able to withstand fiberglassing fumes... ;*)

Patrick

Reply to
Patrick Harvey

on second thought, this would mean the vote would "default" to

NO

:)

Reply to
default

YES...

But with qualifications and assertions not here presented. This is just a yes to the basic idea. I believe it can be workable.

HOWEVER, I am not exactly against time-based certs either. I am definitely against membership-based certification as it currently presents itself, although it is not an issue that I would withhold membership for.

~ Duane Phillips.

Reply to
Duane Phillips

NO

Reply to
Anonymous

AZ: Exactly....I have always wondered WHY L2 people are required to take a written test that basically tests their knowledge of NFPA 1127 and the HPR Safety Code which is directly derived from NFPA 1127, BUT L1 people are not required to have any knowledge whatsoever of either the NFPA 1127 or the HPR Safety Code.... Its not consistent and I hate inconsistency.... It seems to me that you should test at all 3 levels.....

and yes I agree with you again that the NAR needs to take a look at at recertification of people.... the NFPA codes change approx every 4-5 years and they can change dramtically and you know as well as I do that as the NFPA 1127 and or the HPR Safety Code changes, the questions for certfication is alo updated accordingly.....

Perhaps this opens the dooe for something that Rick Dickerson proposed, the concept of a yearly recertification ONLY fee and or testting process..? with the recertification Fee you would get a license but no magazine nor rights or privileges of a full NAR membership...perhaps a NAR cert only membership? Would that be a workable solution ?

I do not believe that once a person gets to a specific cert level say L2 or L3 for example, that if they currently allow their membership to lapse, that they should have to be required to be recerted first to the lower level before ragining their higher cert level.... except in cases were the NFPA

1127/HPR Safety Code or other changes are so extreme in nature, that it would become a necessity...

I am just throwing out ideas and thought processes here to stimulate other peoples thoughts and ideas regarding this issue...

shockie B)

Reply to
shockwaveriderz

Shocky...

The bad news is that NAR views inactive members as a revenue stream... "pay dues for the years where you don't touch a rocket, or lose your HPR cert level". If it would cost me $500 to get back from L0->L3, it would be cheaper for me to keep paying NAR dues for a few years - in other words, NAR sees money coming in, with little more cost than sending out a new card. Granted, the mag etc., gets sent too, but if I'm not active in the hobby, those will just get piled up someplace, or might just get thrown into the recycle bin. (no value).

I think that I would still have a LEUP after 2 years (renewable for a much smaller fee) even if NAR/TRA considers me a L0 is an interesting contrast!

certfication

Reply to
AZ Woody

Good news - it's less than $70 to get to L2.

Reply to
Phil Stein

But Phil, you also must consider the time involved too.. So you "rejoin" after a 13 month lapse, and got this bird your want to fly on a J350.. So first, you have to fly a H-I, retake the L2 test, prep, and get everything set up for your L2. Don't know about you, but launches here are about 4 hours long (it's AZ, and can get hot!)

So, the first 4 hours are spend proving what you did before....

Then there's the L3 thing.. Heck, time wise, this could be a BIG deal!

Reply to
AZ Woody

If you're going to be doing level 3 flights, you'd be spending money on motors anyway.

That hardly seems likely, since the rocket would already be a proven Level 3 success.

Then you'd have to build a new one anyone, cert or not.

That's up to you.

So you're using different alts, but the same rocket? Where's the problem in that?

Reply to
RayDunakin