Zero Tolerance gone crazy

doug holverson wrote:

Bingo!

As are most acts of government.

TDKozan wrote:

It's hard to imagine not calling her on the carpet and telling her that this isn't how we do things here.
DGH

Maybe. The other possibility is that she was just a bad or undesirable student, and the teacher seized her paper as an excuse to try and get her out of the class or school.

Alan Jones wrote:

She may have been an angry creative or an even more undesirable straight up right brainer.
How dare some of these students be so antisocial as to have unacceptable skills that are outside the box of sports, spelling, and brown nosing? And how dare they be such trouble makers if they don't like teachers brow beating those unacceptable skills out of them?
DGH

If they arrested everyone who ever wished that "W" were dead, half the country would be in jail.
BTW, I once heard it suggested that capital punishment is an excellent way to implement term limits at all levels.
Just in the interest of having at least a few facts... http://sandmountainreporter.com/story.lasso?wcdv59
Took me a while to find this article. But it does a good job of showing the school's side of the case, and quotes the specific laws under which the girl was charged.
From the article:

So, with a mumbling "I dunno" kind of response, maybe the school officials felt the girl might actually pose a danger to someone. And of course once you escalate something, it gets escalated all the way -- because nobody wants to be the one that decides to give a break to someone who later turns out to be a psycho.
Personally I think the girl showed poor judgment to write what she did, and worse judgment in how she chose to respond to questions about her composition. I also think the school overreacted. But then, I don't know the girl, which presumably the school does.

So the school escalated things _after_ consulting the girl's parents and other authorities... Maybe there's more to the story than what's in the paper.
--
Gordon S. Hlavenka http://www.crashelectronics.com
If your teacher tells you to Question Authority

Give that man a cigar...or at least an A8-3. ; )
Randy www.vernarockets.com

One would hope so, because on the face of it a "reasonable person" could not possibly interpret "the statement as a serious expression of intent to harm or assault."
It's not like this was new, only the reaction. Lo these many decades ago, a friend wrote a similar paper on the topic of how to improve the human gene pool, for biology class. The paper was then openly discussed, talking about criteria for selecting the victims, etc.
A good lession in natural selection and evolution. Wait, are we still allowed to talk about evolution?
http://www.venganza.org /
shreadvector wrote:

I like spaghetti.

Hey, I know you.... you like things that make you go, right?
;-)
Vince wrote:

That depends on which type of "go", that You are referring to. On a related note, A very popular local spaghetti restuerant, goes by the name of Vince's.
You don't know Kevin Bacon, do You?
What would have happened if the girl had substituted "Jerry Irvine" for George W. Bush in her paper?
Wouldn't have mattered, unless and until Jerry Irvine is elected a president of the US.
David Erbas-White
snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

On Sat, 22 Oct 2005 10:02:03 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

Nuts! It was so peaceful and quite here for a while. Can't you just let sleeping dogs lie? You have to ask "The Economist" if he feels threatened by stupid a 14 year old girl, armed with a civics paper assignment.
Alan Jones wrote:

I didn't say a word.. (:-)
snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

I think You already know the answer to that one. :)
Pretty dumb. Even for a 14 year old.