Zero Tolerance gone crazy

I can't find the exact quote you are refering to but here are a few that come close...

Older men declare war. But it is youth that must fight and die. -- Herbert Clark Hoover

I hate those men who would send into war youth to fight and die for them; the pride and cowardice of those old men, making their wars that boys must die. -- Mary Roberts Rinehart

I'm fed up to the ears with old men dreaming up wars for young men to die in. -- George McGovern

Reply to
Mario Perdue

Is this the rec.models.rockets forum or the alt.politics forum.

aeroforce100

Reply to
Pete

Uh, yes.

TK

Reply to
TDKozan

I don't take a 14 year old students outlandish paper seriously. I do take Dubya and his policies seriously. When I wrote "serious offence", I meant that in the common way as offensive to god and civilized man. There are many laws put in place under the lawmaking procedure of the US constitution that are offensive, unfair, unjust, and even unconstitutional. I suspect the student was being facetious, exercising free speech in a civics assignment, and not making a credible threat. I also believe that the student is stupid and an embarrassment to her teacher, school, and community. Nevertheless, I think society would be better served if her teacher made her less stupid, rather than trying to get rid of her.

Reply to
Alan Jones

To me, it just seems that this whole thread has gotten a bit out of hand and doesn't belong on RMR.

No one knows the full background on this, nor is a lawyer. And I can't see how it applies to model/HP rockets!

Reply to
AZ Woody

What would have happened if the girl had substituted "Jerry Irvine" for George W. Bush in her paper?

Reply to
Josephfromri

Wouldn't have mattered, unless and until Jerry Irvine is elected a president of the US.

David Erbas-White

snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

Reply to
David Erbas-White

Nuts! It was so peaceful and quite here for a while. Can't you just let sleeping dogs lie? You have to ask "The Economist" if he feels threatened by stupid a 14 year old girl, armed with a civics paper assignment.

Reply to
Alan Jones

I think You already know the answer to that one. :)

Reply to
Dave Grayvis

I wasn't being "combative", I just think it's an annoyingly stupid quote.

Reply to
raydunakin

Whatever Ray....whatever.

Ted Novak TRA#5512 IEAS#75

Reply to
the notorious t-e-d

I didn't say a word.. (:-)

Reply to
W. E. Fred Wallace

Pretty dumb. Even for a 14 year old.

Reply to
lightnpyro

Of course, if the bullies, jocks, populars, normals, etc. threaten an uncool, you can be almost certain that teacher's eye will be conveniently blind.

Of course the other way around, you get your Zero Tolerance.

DGH

Reply to
doug holverson

We also live in a country where "vigilante justice" is a big pop fantasy.

And taking out unpopular world leaders is up there with that.

DGH

Reply to
doug holverson

It's hard to imagine not calling her on the carpet and telling her that this isn't how we do things here.

DGH

Reply to
doug holverson

She may have been an angry creative or an even more undesirable straight up right brainer.

How dare some of these students be so antisocial as to have unacceptable skills that are outside the box of sports, spelling, and brown nosing? And how dare they be such trouble makers if they don't like teachers brow beating those unacceptable skills out of them?

DGH

Reply to
doug holverson

Bingo!

Reply to
raydunakin

Yep. Hollywood even turned the Revolutionary War into just another personal revenge movie ("Patriot").

Reply to
raydunakin