1/72 Sea Harrier FRS1 : hasegawa kit

anyone got any comments on this kit. how does it compare to the offering from italeri? the nose of the hasegawa kit looks a little small, but the weapons in the kit and the decal sheet are both very good.

t.

Reply to
Trevor

The Italeri is the old Esci, always voted way ahead of the Hase and Fujimi. I think i have about 30 off all n total...Esci is my choice.

BTW is that S African guy still here? i got my kits yearsa ago befoe Italeri re issued it.....

Reply to
Julian 'Penny for the guy' Hales

Julian

I am still around but work pressures (oh for the days gone past when life was so much simpler) means that i am not very active, both online as well as with my own modelling

Charlie

Reply to
charlieh

Anyway nice to hear from you Charlie.

Reply to
Julian 'Penny for the guy' Hales

Are you modelling the Falklands war?

On another note

When are you off to Germany?

Did you see that C5 fighter programme

10th place was a bomber. Harrier only 7th

No Hurricane, no Lightning.

Read that the Challenger 2 was missing from the greatest tanks. To my mind the best armoured heavy tank with performance of a light tank and a fast accurate big gun should be 1

Reply to
Martin

yes...well have been since 99, and had a converted 24th resin FRS1 on the go too since 2001. I havent managed to finnesh one yet.

Tue. Passport came today

nope.

I do watch tv from late on.

Reply to
Julian 'Penny for the guy' Hales

C5s aren't fighters... ;-)

I don't care what the Royal Navy says. The Harrier is not a fighter and never has been.

Reply to
Enzo Matrix

I wonder what the Argentineans would say to that??

Bill Shuey

Reply to
William H. Shuey

There's a difference between a fighter and a missile carrier directed at obsolete aircraft.

In Europe in the mid-80s, Harrier pilots used to get regularly beaten by Alpha Jets! The Harrier is not nearly as manoeuvrable as people think. The VIFF (Vectoring In Forward Flight) may be be impressive at an air show, but it depletes the aircraft's kinetic energy almost to zero, leaving it very vulnerable in a combat situation. A VIFF might get a Harrier pilot temporarily out of the firing solution of an attacking fighter, but the fighter's wingman would be sure to get the kill shortly afterwards. VIFFing was the only thing that gave a Harrier any agility. In normal flight it had quite a heavy wing loading, which may have been good for a bomber, as it was quite stable at low-level, but was no good in a turning fight.

The main combat technique, which was practiced time and again at the Deci ACMI ranges was, if a package of Harriers got bounced, the Stinger aircraft would attempt to fire off a Sidewinder to confuse the attackers and the rest would simply get down on the deck and head for home. In four years of ACMI training, I cannot remember a Harrier formation ever beating a formation of real fighters. They could give Torando F3s a run for their money, but that isn't saying much for the F3!

Reply to
Enzo Matrix

I have a Esci kit. I 've got the impression the outrigger legs being too short.

Hans

Reply to
Hans

i havent got that far :-)