109 tail swastikas

Ok, so this is probably a dumb question, but.... I'm working on the Monogram

109G, and there are no tail swastikas on the decal sheet, nor even shown on the instructions for placement. Any chance this is correct, or is it just Monogram having a PC attack? Not having them on the box art I can live with, but this is a bit much. I don't have a spare sheet of swastikas laying around.

When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return. --Leonardo Da Vinci EAA # 729686 delete the word spam from email addy

Reply to
TimeTraveler658

I have come across this before with certain countries not being allowed to stock models with the Swastika on them, either that or they have to remove the offending item. Yes someone somewhere along the line is being a bit too PC....but what is daft is that these symbols are part of World History and there is no denying that they ever existed so why delete them....???. That's just like trying to say History never happened.

Regards........Mark.

Reply to
Mark Stevens

Depending on when and where the kit was boxed its intirely likely that this is just a case of being PC. I've had to resort to buying a decal sheet of nothing but swastikas because so many kits if any have them on the decal sheet

Mike

Reply to
MQM-107

Wouldn't it drive the PCers crazy to know they are responsible for the sales of so many swastika sheets? Maybe I shouldn't say that tho,next they'll want to outlaw decals...

Reply to
Eyeball2002308

It is not a matter of just being PC. It is my understanding that in some European countries it is flat Illegal to display the swastikas. Since most kit manufacturers would like to sell at least a few of their kits in Europe, they comply with that law.

I suspect the logic of this has been debated since modelers first started talking to each other, with no significant progress either for or against.

Go buy a sheet of swastikas. If you continue to build WW II German subjects you will need them. As to references showing where to place them, there must be thousands of good books with relevant pictures.

Norm

Reply to
Norm Filer

In Germany it is against the law. Most kits do not include them at all nowadays, years ago the practice was often to paint them over on box art, decals and instructions. Lots of work for somebody with a black marker... I've just ordered a sheet for a Mustang in England, and there are kill marks on this P-51, consisting of tiny swastikas....a dangerous game I am playing... :-) Ingo, Bremen, Germany

Reply to
Ingo Degenhardt

some the other day bought a hase or tammy kit, 109 me thinks and came with swasstkers

Reply to
JULIAN HALES

As has been up every now and then, if a model is to be sold legally in Germany, no svasticas are allowed. Some companies just omit them, and others are more creative about it, but Superscale did a whole sheet of different sizes and styles

Reply to
Claus Gustafsen

The short answer is, yes, Monogram is being PC to suit the sensibilities of some European countries. There are plenty of aftermarket decal sheets available for obtaining swastikas. If you do a search in RMS for "Swastika" you'll find tons of posts discussing this very topic.

Don McIntyre Clarksville, TN

Reply to
Don McIntyre

Your first assumption...an internationally inspired attack of PC.

There used to be a sheet of them available from Aeromaster, but if you really want to do it right, throw out the kit decals and get a full sheet of Aeromaster decal for it.

Reply to
Rufus

Give me an idea how big and what style you need them and I'll search some out for you. Even on 1/72 sheets there are some just too large.

Bill Banaszak, MFE

Reply to
Mad-Modeller

Sounds usual - British build models of German WW2 aircraft and Germans build models of British and American aircraft!

Appreciate the engineering!

Reply to
Martin

of so many swastika sheets?>>

Excellent point. Instead of being limited to the pair we'd get with the kit and using them for that purpose, we now have the need, therefore the ability, to buy them in bulk and plant them wherever we want. Bravo to the PC crowd!!

When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return. --Leonardo Da Vinci EAA # 729686 delete the word spam from email addy

Reply to
TimeTraveler658

models of British and American aircraft! Appreciate the engineering!>>

And Tamiya and Hasegawa build kits of American WWII naval aircraft (quite well I might add)--oh, the irony!

When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return. --Leonardo Da Vinci EAA # 729686 delete the word spam from email addy

Reply to
TimeTraveler658

sheet of Aeromaster decal for it>>

But that's the core of the problem here. I have too many kits started, none finished because of research for this or that, and wifey has been on me to actually finish something and get it on the shelf. 1. There are plenty of other things to do around the house that need my attention, and 2. She can't build anything because the table is covered in MY ongoing projects. This was supposed to be a "do it well, but quickly" project, now I need to find decals from another source. I could steal decals from another kit, but then I'd be in the same boat when I build it, so....

When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return. --Leonardo Da Vinci EAA # 729686 delete the word spam from email addy

Reply to
TimeTraveler658

for you. Even on 1/72 sheets there are some just too large.

Not sure Bill. It's a 1/48 kit... I'd have to do some serious excavating to find my Tamiya 1/48 kit for a better measurement, but in 1/72 they're a hair over 5mm. As far as style, I'm not sure what you mean. If you're referring to a white border, yes. And thank you.

When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return. --Leonardo Da Vinci EAA # 729686 delete the word spam from email addy

Reply to
TimeTraveler658

Yes being creative, I know we've all seen the decal sheet that had the swastika on it, you just had to put it together from between two to four smaller pieces. Don't remember which one but one of my kits I was looking at the other day was that way.

Mike

Reply to
MQM-107

8^) Yes, there are examples of obliterating the swastikas on kill marks. Monogram's P-51D used to come with Drew's swastika kill marks in the initial edition. Later ediitions had the swastikas removed. That's just a little much for me!

How long has this been going on? Revell FW-190 #H-615 COPYRIGHT 1962:

"The actual markings on the Fw-190 were different from those on your model. Exhibition of the actual markings would not be in keeping with the spirit of Democracy."

It's got a balkankrueze in place of the hakenkrueze. No doubt these kits were sold in Europe and it was efficacious to delete the swastika and foist the Democracy bs on the buying public. I wish I still had my Me-109, I think it had some verbage about the "historic Greek cross." Any keepers out there got that one?

I like the way the Japanese and the Czechs have solved the problem by using segmented swastikas. Cheers,

The Keeper (of too much crap!)

Reply to
Keeper

I remember in the early 70s an older brother had a sheet of them.He plastered them *everywhere*.We have an old telescope with about 50 on it.But like he says it's an american indian good luck symbol and we have some native blood so he can get away with it...heh :-P

Reply to
Eyeball2002308

Sure is a good thing it is not in German waters. It would be violating the law!!

Norm

Reply to
Norm Filer