109 tail swastikas

Actually RAF aircraft had them in some prewar squadron markings, and if I remember correct it's also on some US or French world war I planes, those with an Indian Chief on them, it part of his "jewelery"

Reply to
Claus Gustafsen

SHHHHHH...by all means, don't let her know you're starting a boat too...

Reply to
Rufus

I vote we ban all aircraft bearing Hinomarus. After all, the Japanese were as murderous as the Nazi's but I almost never hear anyone talk about banning red circles, just swastikas.

If swastikas are still so dangerous in Germany, they have some way deeper problems than just model airplanes, it's they haven't quite abandoned the thinking that made what the Swastika stand for so repugnant. (Or it's just moronic PC run wild)

Reply to
a0002604

I have a Czech penpal who only builds Allied aircraft of WWII. It must seep across the borders. :)

Bill Banaszak, MFE

Reply to
Mad-Modeller

Not to stray too far off topic, but that's exactly why a flag-burning amendment, even if ever passed, would be the next thing to un enforceable.

Example: Guy burns a blue canton with fifty white stars. Then he burns a standard flag with seven red and six white stripes. Is that flag desecration?

I won't go into all thew other obvious examples, but it just shows people who want to evade free expression restrictions will find a way.

Mark Schynert

Reply to
Mark Schynert

IIRC on Revell's 1/48th scale B-17F with the "Memphis Belle" markings, the swastika-type kill markings in the original release were changed to black crosses?

Don McIntyre Clarksville, TN

Reply to
Don McIntyre

the kit is in 1/48? I also have some, and no problem on size (been doing 1/48 for ages...) send me your adress and gladly will send some to you... I have a question do, How you guys do the contests in Europe? (sorta imagine the police confiscating all WWII axis aircraft!!! ) just a joke (could'nt resist)

Max Salas

Reply to
Max Salas

There was a similar discussion after an issue of FineScale Modeler several years ago with a German fighter plane on the cover. The photo on the cover had no Swastika on the tail, but a smaller photo inside the magazine did have the Swastika on it. Someone wrote to the magazine asking whether it was an example of political correctness, but the editors explained that they omitted the Swastika on the cover because, in countries like Germany, where the Swastika is illegal, they could not have sold the magazine otherwise. They wanted to avoid spending the money on two different versions of the magazine, hence the doctored photo on the cover. I would imagine the same is true for models themselves. It's really inappropriate to refer to this as "political correctness." The Swastika has been illegal in Germany for half a century, and frankly I don't think it's any of my business to second guess their reasons for such a prohibition. This seems like the most likely explanation for Swastikas missing from decal sheets, box art, etc. I have a hard time believing that "political correctness" has anything to do with it.

Reply to
Aviday Ogelvay

Ahhh . . . The German connection explains the absence in some Revell kits . . . TSR2

Reply to
TSR2

The other hassle faces Finnish modellers. It was the Finn equivalent of the stars n bars from the start of the Ilmavoimat (airforce) until the end of WW2; the Finns had a "swastika" of pale blue on a whote circle, it is a heraldic / historic symbol. Ciao TSR2

Reply to
TSR2

Quite true and it had nothing to do with Germany. The Finnish swastika was presented with their first aircraft by the king of Sweden and adopted as the National symbol till post WWII. Cheers,

The Keeper (of too much crap!)

Reply to
Keeper

In article , Eyeball2002308 writes

I always understood the Nazi Hakenkreutz wasn't a true swastika but reversed the rotation (or was a mirror image), so instead of being an ancient good luck symbol it became a curse symbol, although the latter usage may only go back to medieval times. I have as yet eschewed the use of the true swastika on any of my Roman wargames figures, although there is contemporary evidence for it's use, both as embroidered tunic decoration, and as part of designs on shields. (It is present- though not prominent - in the decoration of the best surviving example of the semi-cylindrical shields popularly associated with Legionaries.

Regards,

Reply to
Moramarth

IIRC it was used in both directions.Somewhere around here I have a nifty little history dvd that includes a long section on the Swastika's use in WW1 in the US and Britain.

Reply to
Eyeball2002308

Bet he'd have hated the P-51 in German markings that I have.

Reply to
Eyeball2002308

It was changed per the treaty with the Soviets in 1944, IIRC. It certainly qualifies as post- their war. I remember my first hobby show where I had a Buffalo on display in Finnish markings. I had a very irate ex-Navy man there one night. It seems the sight of an American plane wearing the markings had him somewhat exercised. Fortunately I had some reference material along that mollified him a trifle. It was all together too scary an event for a few moments there.

Bill Banaszak, MFE

Reply to
Mad-Modeller

I did some research in encyclopedias and this is what I came up with, FWIW:

Svastika: "conducive to well-being," Hakenkruz, Crux Gammata. Right-hand (Nazi) moves clockwise--solar symbol. Counter-clockwise (Sauvastika symbol of night (Kali) & magical practices. Nationalist ideologue Guido von List suggested the swastika as a symbol of anti-semitism in 1910.

In other words, both forms meant something in India. If anything, the clockwise sign was more auspicious. The counter-clockwise variant was also an American Indian good luck sign, though I can't say for which tribes. The actual corruption of what may be a prehistoric symbol has only existed for 94 years.

Mark Schynert

Reply to
Mark Schynert

Plains Indians, IIRC. I seem to remember seeing a teepee with painted swastikas decorating it, as well as pictographs telling about the owner.

In Buffalo there's an office building downtown, the Ellicott Square Building. Built in 1898 and at one time the largest office building in the country. The floor of its main-floor lobby is a beautiful mosaic tile with numerous designs, insluding the swastika. Back in the 1990s, a notarious PC group wanted the owner to put carpeting over the floor to hide the "offending" symbols. The building's then-owner told them if they wanted to carpet it, they could go ahead and do it. That project fizzled when they found out how much it was going to cost them. At least nobody talked about painting the floor to hide the mosaic or tear it up!

The Old Timer

FWIW The latest Squadron Flyer has sheets of swastika decals in 1/72 and 1/48 scale.

1/72 Extra Tech decals, #N-ETD7202 $2.46

1/48 Tally Ho Decals, #N-KPH248017 $5.46

Bill Shuey

Reply to
William H. Shuey

In the German Panzermuseum at Munster stands a Sturmgeschütz from Finland - carrying large markings as described above on the sides. they must have some kind of permit.. Ingo

Reply to
Ingo Degenhardt

IIRC the law allows displays of historical significance in a museum for non-politcal purposes. Also private display in your own home is allowed. There is a discussion of this every year. a couple of years ago someone actually dug up the law and posted the germane points.

Reply to
Ron